Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ska Prom (Review/Rant)
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:46 am 
The Gnarwhals

Was more fun than I thought it was going to be, for sure.
My sets are always awkward because kids at ska shows never seem into acoustic unless it's goofy and filled with funny jokes, that's fine. I just love playing and my covers of Grow Old With you and At Your Funeral were fun as hell.

Shut Up Travis was good, I liked them a lot.
Skanotto is always a pleasure. Their sets are always fairly diverse and refreshing.
Tip the Van RULED. I was VERY into them.
4 Point 0 - Like I've said before, all very excellent musicians. I just can't sit through streetlight covers. The Tsunamis cover surprised me and was awesome, and one of your songs had a fast part in it that made me circle pit, well until Jackie's boyfriend pushed me over. :roll:

which leads me to the rant portion.
I don't waste my time defending myself over stupid things. That's not what I'm doing here. Concerned parties wanted me to explain some things. I hate a lot of ska bands, I say "I HATE SKA" every time I'm at a show. Get over it, learn to laugh. I listen to plenty of ska still, just a vast majority of it is stuff I can't get into.

I know people lurk this board more than post, if you lurk AND you were upset that I got Ska Prom King, kindly f*ck off.
Honestly, It's Ska Prom. It's not the end of the world, it's not something to get pissy over. I'm not trying to steal your girlfriends or any sort of nonsense.. my girlfriend was there with me for christ' sake. I've been going to shows for quite a few years now, even if I'm sort of a ghost as of recent. If you're going to be a baby about it, push me on the ground while I'm circle pitting. It seems the best approach. Wah, wah... wah.

Also, I wish we could have gotten a picture of the old ska crew. It was pretty cool seeing the old kids there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ska Prom (Review/Rant)
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:29 am 
Juicy J

Hell yeah. If you got it with Robbie B you got it with me, the real Don and that's some real talk.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:43 am 
The Gnarwhals

lol Justin, I can certainly handle myself. I hold myself to a higher standard (most pretentious thing I'll say ever) than that kid apparently.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:19 am 
The RoboBuddies

lol, drama over ska prom crowning ? haaa that's silly.

Especially since you've gone to more ska shows than anyone tends to remember.

Rob Button, FTW!

~Pat<3

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:57 am 
Juicy J

If youre lurking behind youre computer out there lowly skaprom king reject, listen up. Sucks that youre frettin, but as you can see from King Rob, it ain't nothin to a boss nigga.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:30 pm 
Ruder Than You

Comrade Rurik wrote:
well until Jackie's boyfriend pushed me over. :roll:

Sorry again! He's awfully testy...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:48 pm 
Two Tone Capone

just so you know i have no problem with you being crowned ska prom king the problem is with your douche bag arrogance and how you can talk shit about everyone who doesn't agree with you or does not like your shitty acoustic sets at a show that do not fit in im not trying to start drama its my opinion and i pushed you mainly because you slammed into me while running into the pit and i almost fell down. so before you become a total arrogant sob id prefer that you could just leave it at not talking or dissing me or my friends.and fyi i don't hate you as a person just as your arrogance and lack there of kindness.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:08 am 
The Gnarwhals

Ohhhh, I'm supposed to tip-toe around my opinions when asked about things? If you over hear me telling someone that I don't like something, get over it. I'm not going out of my way to shit talk anyone. I will give anyone my honest opinion when asked to. Now, I will address this post part-by-part.

razsum41 wrote:
just so you know i have no problem with you being crowned ska prom king
Not what I heard.
razsum41 wrote:
the problem is with your douche bag arrogance and how you can talk shit about everyone who doesn't agree with you
Example? Stop talking out of your ass.
razsum41 wrote:
or does not like your shitty acoustic sets at a show that do not fit in
I'm perfectly fine with people not liking my acoustic sets bud. I've not shit talked anyone about that. If I was offended by any of that I'd just stop doing it. I remember one of my first acoustic sets with 4 Point 0 some fan/friend of theirs came up to me and told me how badly I sucked and that they were so much better than me. I shrugged it off. I think it was Audra that came up to me after the show and apologized on his behalf, it was kind of her.
There are always going to be people that don't like what I do. Honestly, I'm getting bored with most of it. I know that people appreciated the two covers I did though because they sang along to them. Also, I was given congratulations on my set by a few people and was talked to about future shows with some other guys and everything else. I'm cool with that.
Variety on a show is NOT something you should frown upon anyways. All that makes it sound like is "SKA SKA SKA. PRETENTIOUS PRETENTIOUS PRETENTIOUS."

razsum41 wrote:
im not trying to start drama its my opinion
You may not be trying to start it now, but you certainly did at the show.
razsum41 wrote:
and i pushed you mainly because you slammed into me while running into the pit and i almost fell down.
Cool story bro. If I knew I bumped into you I would have apologized. I didn't know you were being a baby until that point when someone explained it to me.
razsum41 wrote:
so before you become a total arrogant sob id prefer that you could just leave it at not talking or dissing me or my friends
Again, you're talking out of your ass. I didn't say anything about your friends. Just talked about you and being a baby and me thinking it was pretty funny.

razsum41 wrote:
.and fyi i don't hate you as a person just as your arrogance and lack there of kindness.

I'm not kind to you honestly because I think you're a tool. I don't feel like I was too much of an asshole last night, even to you. Any sort of notion of me being arrogant and unkind last night, before I was crowned, is completely ridiculous. I heard from numerous parties that people were upset I was prom king, so I thought it was funny egging a few people on about it.

Anything else?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:58 am 
Ruder Than You

Can this end here please?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:03 pm 
Scene Diety

WOW
this is boring as hell to read...like one of my posts.

except for your vacant stare

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:04 pm 
The Gnarwhals

lol length. There hasn't been board controversy in a long time.
Dyer and I have been too lax as of late.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:13 pm 
Syracuse Ska

catsarenice wrote:
Can this end here please?

lengthtoavoid wrote:
WOW
this is boring as hell to read...like one of my posts.

Comrade Rurik wrote:
lol length. There hasn't been board controversy in a long time.
Dyer and I have been too lax as of late.

I'm not especially happy about this thread. I'm more than a little frustrated that with all the serious stuff happening in the world that THIS is what gets everyone worked up. Rather sad.

That said, it's here and I'm going to react to it.

I'm not overly happy with Rob or Pat about this. Pat needed to chill about the whole thing, no argument. But this post seems like Rob is trying to rub Pat's face into the ground. Give it a rest already.

I know both Pat and Rob and think they're both great guys. Both are now graduating from high school and I wish you both all the best. But I also know the weaknesses you both have. Pat like many of us (myself included) is very passionate about life in general, which also means we tend to over-react sometimes. As long as no one gets seriously hurt in the process, I think it should be allowed to blow over. Rob loves to provoke people to the point of making them really angry. He plainly finds it entertaining, which it is to an extent, but it also comes off as quite dickish and in a relatively small town, its guaranteed to create problems.

I'd really like both of you to just chill out about this. Rob being Ska Prom King is not a big deal and that Pat didn't originally take it well is also not a big deal. Again, let's get worked up about real stuff happening in the world and not this petty stuff that means nothing -- agreed?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:48 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Comrade Rurik wrote:
Was more fun than I thought it was going to be, for sure.
My sets are always awkward because kids at ska shows never seem into acoustic unless it's goofy and filled with funny jokes, that's fine. I just love playing and my covers of Grow Old With you and At Your Funeral were fun as hell.

Shut Up Travis was good, I liked them a lot.
Skanotto is always a pleasure. Their sets are always fairly diverse and refreshing.
Tip the Van RULED. I was VERY into them.
4 Point 0 - Like I've said before, all very excellent musicians.

Yeah, it was a really great night overall, with awesome music.

I love Rob's acoustic work, honestly. I just wish I hadn't been stuck at the door.

The only band I'd never seen before was Shut Up Travis from Montgomery, Alabama and they were a really nice surprise. I knew from others they were good, but not THAT good. :thumbup:

Mrs. Skannotto really blew the doors off that night. Very awesome to see.

Likewise, I love Tip The Van both musically and as some very cool people. It's not often you see the headlining band out dancing in the crowd like that for other bands, which is immensely cool. And they're great performers.

4 Point 0 just makes me very, very proud. They're still quite young, so they'll get even better, but they are already amazing. Too Hectic -> Short Round -> Straighter Than Pete -> Razbari Sumthing -> 4 Point 0. Except for Short Round, the others each took several years to get to the point where 4 Point 0 is now. I'm excited to see where this will end up. :mrgreen:

Comrade Rurik wrote:
Also, I wish we could have gotten a picture of the old ska crew. It was pretty cool seeing the old kids there.

Yeah, I don't know why no one thought of that. It was almost like we were back at one of those early UCF shows again. :cheers:

BTW, the crowd goes even further back at Rude Revolution. Like numerous people from the STP era. :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:53 pm 
Juicy J

JDyer
Gasoline can of the thread 09

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:59 pm 
Rude & Reckless

Ska-teboarding wrote:
JDyer
Best Poster 09

Profile E-mail