Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Race, age, gender are taboo in election
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:53 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Wanted to share this, as its a strong, honest discussion of this difficult issue that needs to be addressed not only for the election, but in our society in general.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/10/ ... index.html

Roland Martin commentary in conclusion wrote:
So what do we do when it comes to our tendency to follow group identification?

1. Stop dancing around the topic. When you watch TV and hear folks talk about Wal-Mart moms or small, rural towns, they are talking about white Americans. These catch phrases never include African-Americans or Hispanics

2. Confront bias where it is. Ask your friends, neighbors, co-workers and church members who they are voting for. When they give you the "I really can't put my finger on it" line, then press them. Hard. You know the real answer, so don't beat around the bush. The best folks to challenge Americans on their hang-ups regarding age, race and gender aren't the AARP, NAACP or NOW. It's Y-O-U. Don't give in to the "That's the way I was raised" mantra. When someone suggests that flags and faith show that a candidate isn't one of us, drill down.

3. Accept the fact that some people will not change. We all think that we have been gifted to the degree that our sane and logical arguments can get folks off their biased stumps. Some people just won't give in. Fine, move on. The goal is to rid our society of as much bias as possible. If someone is so hard-headed, then you have to go on to the next person and try to change them.

It's critical that we be as honest as possible about the impact of race, age and gender in campaigns. A lot of people love to toss around the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s quote that he hoped one day people would be judged by "the content of their character." But it's still a reality that skin tone, gender and our birth date means more than character to a lot of Americans.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Race, age, gender are taboo in election
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:35 pm 
Rude & Reckless

no here's the real issue at hand

notice a trend?

americans haven't elected a bald president in since Dwight D Eisenhower! Sure Ford was balding, but he was never elected. He came into office when Nixon left. Americans are prejudiced against bald people. Therefore, John McCain will never reach office. thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:36 pm 
Slum Lord

Fact...
The first presidential debate to be on tv was Nixon/Kennedy.
People who watched tv said Kennedy won.
Radio, Nixon.

Appearance is a huge issue.
Bush was presumably chosen by many because he seemed like someone "you could sit down and have a beer with."

TrevoRoverT wrote:
i fuc.king ended it with "wooo mother f.ucker wooo"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:06 pm 
Syracuse Ska

xBigNateDx wrote:
Fact...
The first presidential debate to be on tv was Nixon/Kennedy.
People who watched tv said Kennedy won.
Radio, Nixon.

Appearance is a huge issue.
Bush was presumably chosen by many because he seemed like someone "you could sit down and have a beer with."

While these are natural human tendencies, we all have to agree they're largely silly and don't serve us well. All of the problems with the Bush administration were largely predictable, based on his past performance and who he surrounded himself with.

This is why the "experience" issue can be entirely misguided. Supposedly the Bush administration has used seasoned pros to run their foreign policy -- yet that didn't prevent them from taking on a bad war ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:20 pm 
Rude & Reckless

xBigNateDx wrote:

and this is why I'm voting mccain/palin come november. Gov. Sarah Palin is totally a cougar that i would go "hunting" with! VPILF!!! '08 BABY!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:29 pm 
Scene Diety

Good God, that's photochopped, right? O dear FSM, I hope so.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:47 pm 
Rude & Reckless

yeah its fake

strangely enough though her approval rating went UP after that picture hit the internet.

but check out this video clip of an interview with her- if anyone can tell me what the hell she is trying to say i'll buy you a root beer float... i guess a degree in sports journalism is perfect for vice presidency (presidency if you take mccain's high odds of croaking or getting really sick into account)
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpoints ... rine_h.php

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:22 pm 
Syracuse Ska

go go gergie wrote:
but check out this video clip of an interview with her- if anyone can tell me what the hell she is trying to say i'll buy you a root beer float... i guess a degree in sports journalism is perfect for vice presidency (presidency if you take mccain's high odds of croaking or getting really sick into account)

It seems pretty clear she had no idea what the Bush Doctrine is and tried to bluff that she did and then further bluffed that she understood what Bush is doing in Pakistan.

Charlie Gibson only got this interview by promising to not discuss her family problems or a lot of the other things people have been asking her lately. This portion of the interview was hardly inspiring.

It's very clear she doesn't keep up with foreign policy news at all, which is a scary thing given what she's running for. No wonder Karl Rove is so damn excited about her -- she'll be the perfect puppet for the neocons.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:47 pm 
Upstate NY Reggae

http://www.peteyandpetunia.com/VoteHere/VoteHere.htm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:59 pm 
Scene Diety

skadanny wrote:
go go gergie wrote:

It seems pretty clear she had no idea what the Bush Doctrine is and tried to bluff that she did and then further bluffed that she understood what Bush is doing in Pakistan.

Charlie Gibson only got this interview by promising to not discuss her family problems or a lot of the other things people have been asking her lately. This portion of the interview was hardly inspiring.

It's very clear she doesn't keep up with foreign policy news at all, which is a scary thing given what she's running for. No wonder Karl Rove is so damn excited about her -- she'll be the perfect puppet for the neocons.

It really is scary how unqualified she is. She is obviously pandering to the conservative Christians, which is an awful way to choose a candidate (even though I'm sure Obama is guilty of it too).
I really have not seen a single positive thing from Palin, and this is not my super liberal side talking because I have seen some positive things from McCain (except his great choke on the View, that was awesome) but obviously way more on Obama's side.
I think that change is the hot topic and I don't understand how or why McCain is calling for change when he comes from the same party, it seems ass backwards. Also he plans on staying in the Middle East which is half of what people feel "change" is (or at least how I interpret it a lot of times). Now the Middle East is a touchy topic (I almost agree with McCain that we can't just abandoned it but then it comes to how long before we do? Because we have to leave eventually and right now it looks like a long long time and a lot of money that we can use to try and save ourselves.)

...man I rambled...
My main point is...this board is full of idiots. Danny finally gives you all something to talk about and you all blow it off but as soon as someone makes a stupid joke about a band you like or your stupid bullshit band you all freak out.

Boners.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:32 pm 
Scene Diety

ASOBBrokeup wrote:
I think that change is the hot topic and I don't understand how or why McCain is calling for change when he comes from the same party, it seems ass backwards.

I mean, that kind of answers your question. He has to appear to embrace change - he can't deny that the country is in major trouble without appearing stupid, so he must embrace change in a vague way, while espousing essentially the same plans which are now in place.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:59 pm 
The Gnarwhals

go go gergie wrote:
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/sarah_palin_on_bush_doctrine_h.php

the video doesn't really flow all that well at certain parts, it feels like someone edited it before putting it up to make her look even more ignorant on the matter. If it wasn't edited, oh well, not surprised.
McCain won the lose.

Profile E-mail