All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: westcott theater?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:59 am 
Upstate NY Reggae

Rated 4.1 out of 5.0 7 reviews Mongol
2hr 0min - Rated R - Drama - Trailer - IMDb
Westcott Cinema 524 Westcott Street, Syracuse, NY, USA - Map 7:30pm
http://www.google.com/movies?hl=en&near ... 1&start=10

i suspect this is just a typo, but would be nice to have movies back. was sad to hear that the seats going out for "cleaning" were not to return. what's the progress on this
project? any one know?? hollaback at me. 10 bands 10 bux sell yer own tix coming soon? a

Post subject: Re: westcott theater?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:07 pm 
Syracuse Ska

When I took the tour in March, they were almost done with the renovations. The holdup all along has been the city permits. One of the bigger issues was lack of enough bathrooms, given the significantly increased capacity. What they told me and I've heard over and over since then is they definitely don't want to put the theater seating back in. They'd rather use folding chairs for a sit-down event, if needed.

Its kind of ironic, but one of the people who needs to sign off on this is the owner of The Palace, since Mike is now a city councilor. And I've heard secondhand he doesn't like that they want to duplicate his capacity, but without building out the bathrooms or dedicating parking, like he did.

I'm sure they'll get it open, one way or another, because they're making monthly lease payments for an empty space. That's never a profitable exercise.

BTW, the way Dan was explaining it to me, it'd be more like 3 bands for $20, honestly. I don't think he can make that work, but he may need to try and fail first before the pricing structure gets more reasonable. Neither of them has ever owned a live music venue before and Dan especially seems to think we'll all pay a premium for the location, which is a good one admittedly, but just not the kind of premium he's looking for, at least not that I can foresee. I've never known anyone willing to pay more for a product or service just because the business has higher overhead. Basic economics just doesn't work like that.

Profile E-mail