Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introductions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:26 pm 
Paid Some Dues

1) Your name, where you live, some general stuff like that.

I'm Ryan, I live in the Westcott (actually, Sedgewick). I'm the dude at all the WCC show who sits at the door, often makes meanface, sometimes watches bands, and cleans up the joint before and after the shows. I also book a lot of punk/HC shows in the area, do a label and sing in a band.

2) How did you get into ska?

I'm actually not all that into ska. I used to go see Too Hectic sometimes, that was fun. I like some old stuff like The Clash and particularly the more reggae-influenced Bad Brains stuff, but perhaps that doesn't really qualify.

3) What are some of your favorite ska bands?

See above.

4) What do you like about the ska scene?

From the point of view of working these shows I have to say that I never have to really worry about shitty people showing up. Most everyone has a good attitude, and is honestly there just to have fun.

5) What are some of your favorite moments from shows?

I'm 30. I have far too many show memories to list them all. Actually, to rephrase, I'm 30. I can't remember shit at this point.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:25 pm 
Ruder Than You

1> I'm jackie, i live exactly 2.56742 miles from claire lunderpanties.
2> I got into ska sort of gradually. My dad has a big reggae collection and I'm pretty sure that influenced my taste
3> The first ska band I ever really listened to was Less Than Jake, so they have a special special place in my heart. Catch-22 is a close second.
4> I really enjoy going home physically exhausted, lightly bruised and awfully sweaty. And Claire Lunderman.
5> Well haha I remember the time a few hours ago when Danny waved goodbye and I gave him an awkward high-five on accident...smoooooth.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:09 pm 
Paid Some Dues

1. Hi guys, I'm Robbie, and I'm from a tiny ass town called Kendall NY, about a Half hour west of Rochester.
2. I got into ska when an online gaming friend mentioned LTJ and RBF to me when I was like 14. My life was never the same afterwords.
3. My favorite ska bands are probably Streetlight, The Flaming Tsunamis, Public Access(RIP) Daly's Gone Wrong, and The Flatliners if they even count. Lately I've been listening to Detonate and Marx Revolution as well.
4. I like the ska scene because people dance. They bum less, and dance more. Also our girls are generally cute. I also like the ska scene because they're some of the only people that like my shitty music.
5. As far as show moments, I have played/went to so many that it is hard to say. One has to be playing in Syracuse last year and having a bunch of kids that I've never seen screaming Alien Scum with me. I felt like Superman.

Anyways, I'm excited to go up to Syracuse and see you kids again!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:17 pm 
New Kid

Whats up everyone, My name is Walter, From Scranton PA.
I got into ska after going through a few burned cds and finding a keasbey nights/ losing streak mix disc
I really dig big d and the kids table, and the bosstones
there is nothing like a good high energy ska show... no offense to anyone that is into the more chilled out tunes but i'm into the fast paced in your face
Catching my buddy dave-o at a big d show in 05 he jumped off a speaker with no shirt on and he slipped right through my hands... I tried dude haha

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:37 pm 
Paid Some Dues

1. Mike, from Watertown NY
2. Friends, local shows
3. Public Serpents, Big D and the Kids Table, INDK
4. Funfunfunfunfun
5. Bah way too many to think about

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:13 pm 
Where Am I???

I'm Dan, I lived in Ohio my whole life and just moved out to syracuse for a job. Living in E. Syracuse now.

As lame as it sounds it all started from going to a mighty mighty bosstones show when i was like 12.

The Gadjits/ The Slackers/ Streetlight Manifesto... love the clash, they have some ska influence...I donno i guess I like both ends of the spectrum..the slow stuff with a good groove, and the fast paced loud stuff that just puts me in a good mood.
4) What do you like about the ska scene?I've never really been a part of a big ska "scene". There was a bit of an Oi scene in columbus, the meatheads kind of made it lame though.

- The Street Dogs were opening for Social D and Social D cancelled. The street dogs played a show in the basement of the venue for like 50 people instead. It was amazing, very high energy level for such a small show.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:28 am 
Paid Some Dues

RJ, Florida, I teach high school English and play in a ska/punk band
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Mephiskapheles, The Skoidats, Blue Meanies, Johnny Socko, Five Iron Frenzy, etc.
Unity! Ska is unwavering and unrelenting, through everything its been through
We toured with Dan Potthast and it was freaking awesome.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:25 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Call For Fire wrote:
Mephiskapheles, The Skoidats, Blue Meanies, Johnny Socko, Five Iron Frenzy, etc.

Why do I have a feeling you got into this music during the heyday of Moon Ska? :geek:

Call For Fire wrote:
We toured with Dan Potthast and it was freaking awesome.

Yeah, a great guy and awesome performer. Any idea if he's touring again up our way anytime soon? We really want him back!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:20 pm 
Paid Some Dues

Actually I was a little late! I tried to start a VGS/Blue Meanies type band when I met up with a bassist who turned me onto Mephiskapheles, Johnny Socko, and The Skoidats (thank God!)

Your guess is as good as mine Danny! Last I talked to him was in Pensacola when he came through w/ Streetlight Manifesto (the same show Jim got hit in the mouth and eventually had to go to the hospital). He said he was trying to get Mu330 back on the road but to no avail apparently. He is pretty radical though, I've never seen a better solo act. Streetlight is awesome but we drove 3 hours to see Dan!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:16 am 
Paid Some Dues

What's up everyone. My names is Devon James Stewart. I am from Boston and am now in my second year at SU.

I was more or less born into ska. My father is Ken Stewart and plays keyboards with the Skatalites. I think Lloyd Knibb has been more of a grandfather to me than my real one.

Favorite bands: The Skatalites, Sound Demension, Toots and the Maytals, Monty Alexander, Ernest Ranglin, Easy Star All Stars,The Toasters, John Brown's Body, Spiritual Rez, Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad, Groundation, Westbound Train, The Void Union, Satori

I like ska music because there are no labels writing the music for the bands, it's pretty much just REAL people playing some REAL music. I love travel to new cities and countries to play with people. I like to hear people's stories about traveling/touring. And the best thing is that at a ska show you will rarely see a fight because people are too busy dancing.

The greatest memory from any show that I have would be from the Skatalites summer tour of 07. We were in San Sabastian playing at the Jazzaldia Festival for Heineken and I was standing on the boardwalk hold a beer, talking to my dad and a woman who just saw our show. The sun started to go down and there was a beautiful sunset on the ocean.

Another favorite moment is sneaking under the stage in Brooklyn to smoke.

Anyways I have a new band here on campus more trad. ska/ reggae/ funk. We are looking for a new name but have been playing @ Funk N Waffles under the name "Unofficially Announced." We play at MESIA Battle of the Bands this Wednesday, Sept 17th in the Schine Undergound at SU, please come out and show your support!!

Peace,

Devon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:28 pm 
New Kid

1) I'm Randi. I live in Montreal, Quebec originally from London, Ontario.
2) I can't even remember. All I know is that the most fun I have had at live shows has been a ska/reggae show.
3) The Planet Smashers, Subb, Staylefish, the One Night Band, the Mad Caddies, The Aggrolites, The Flatliners.... The list goes on haha
4) Its always fun at ska shows. I could be having the worst day ever and go see a ska band and come away from that show in the best mood.
5) WAY TOO MANY! I live for shows haha I don't know if I could even pick a favorite memory.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:09 pm 
Paid Some Dues

The name's Garrison. I live in Rocky Mount, NC, a boring little city. I know this place is for all you damn *Yankees out there, but I figured I could mix in with the crowd. I may be a young guy, but don't think I can't keep a good conversation when it comes to music. I also have a big thing for graphic art- got a request?

Hmmm... 2 years ago, I think it was. I stumbled upon Streetlight's first album, and was immediately fascinated by this "rock with horns". Needless to say, my love for ska has grown extremely, and not a day goes by where I don't jam out to a ASOB or SM track.

My current favorite is probably the Arrogant Sons of Bitches. Something about that raw emotion and energy they have really gets me. And of course, the oh-so-typical Streetlight. They truly define the 3rd Wave genre. I also love Reel Big Fish's humorous lyrics, and some of the 1st Wave stuff is always great. Does Slightly Stoopid count?

I hesitate to call it a "scene"- I like the term communtity much better. I like the energy, the passion, the fun loving attitude of the fans and musicians, and the feeling of unity between us all. It is a welcoming thing, and it takes a special kind of person to love the genre like we do.

Psh. If I could even find a gig in this shit-hole. The last concert I went to was James Taylor, and you know that was a blast. When I can actually get off my ass and find a show to go to, I'll let you know.

So pretty much, I hope I can find a place with you guys, and I'm looking forward to making a few buds along the way.
*Know that I use this term lovingly: I have to live with them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:14 pm 
Paid Some Dues

1) My name is Ricky, I'm From Niagara Falls, NY. I play trumpet in and do booking for my band,
Abominable Killer Snowmen
2) i got into ska freshman year of high school when my buddy alec (current singer/tenor sax player of AKS) asked me to join a ska band. being a generally quiet kid in a concert band only playing trumpet for an easy grade, i accepted. having no idea what ska even was i got hooked instantly.
3) All time- Catch 22, the Aquabats, Less Than Jake, Bomb The Music Industry Currently- The Flaming Tsunamis, We are the Union, ASOB
4) In General its just the most amazing thing ever, you can come from any walk of life and be accepted by everyone, nobody is harsh to anyone else, we all just coexist and are happy with the music we all share a passion for
5) Best moment would have to be meeting Kevin Gunther of Catch22, he was my first big ska trumpet influence, and a huge one at that. then after meeting him, my band went on right before catch 22 did it was the perfect night.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:51 pm 
New Kid

Pete. I live in North Syracuse. I enjoy going to/booking shows, playing music, and being a person.

I will be frank, I can't say I've ever listened to ska voluntarily. I would even go so far as to say that I'm not really sure what ska is in a strict sense. I am, however, looking to do lots of new things this year and checking out some ska tunes is one of them!

See above.

I honestly have been completely unaware of it up until this point.

I've been a bit of a herb monger and a hermit up until this new year, so essentially I've always been there to see the bands, nothing more, nothing less. But I'm looking forward to actually enjoying other peoples' company at shows.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:06 pm 
Paid Some Dues

My names Nick i live in the central square area of cny. I've been going to shows sense i was 12 or 13 i cant remember which. i dance alot, i get real sweaty. More then a good chance you've seen me start some kinda dance. I staged dived once at a show, at least 100 times, no joke i lost count at 37, 3 songs in at bouncing souls a few months ago. I dated jackie carr, we broke up. You probably know me, or i probably know you

Napster nigga

Big D And The Kids Table, Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, Slackers basically

Dancing and hot girls.

Differently the above mentions bouncing souls show, every polar bear club show ever, every big d show ive been too, and my first two shows The slackers, and Against me!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next