Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Streetlight Manifesto...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:02 pm 
Paid Some Dues

Am I the only person that doesn't really like Streetlight Manifesto?

Their stuff is too fast to dance to. they are good live, but after seeing them more than twice, they start to get old. They are a really talented band, but when listening to them live, and on cd, all of their songs seem to run together and sound the same. Maybe I'm just crazy...hmm..

tell me if I'm the only one that feels this way, I'm curious...Whenever I tell the people in my area that I dislike them, they are always like, "WhhhaaaaaAA???" haha..

Logan*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:12 pm 
Ska Queen

Actually it was something that Twitch and I were discussing at Jay's after the show. We were saying how, like, it's really good music, but it's hard to dance to. Like, even when they go into half time stuff, it's way to slow to dance to. And then if you try the upbeat stuff, it's just waaaaaay too fast.

We came to the conclusion that The Toasters are the best live band to dance to because 99% of their songs are at JUST the right tempo so that you can skank the entire night long. :)

But yeah. That's the first time I've seen SM live, and I reeeeally like them. Honestly, I almost jumped on top of their tenor player because tenor sax is SUCH a frickin' hott instrument. I would know, I play it. :wink:

Anyway, the songs did kind of sound the same after a while, but maybe that's because I was too busy trying to figure out a way to dance in tempo and not get tired and have to stop.. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:28 pm 
585 Ska

They are definitly right below my top five bands.

I find them absolutely fnatastic, but they are one of THE most overplayed bands in existance (right below The Aquabats) They are great to listen to, but only every once in a while.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:41 pm 
Show Regular

I like Streetlight, I enjoy their live show, but I think they are highly overrated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:39 pm 
Checkered Demon

I found it hard seeing Streetlight and dancing through the whole set. During the whole set I took a one song and during every song I took about a 30 second break. To me, their music is more skank and push people around music.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:06 pm 
The Secret Ions

Because they're so hard to dance to and many of their songs do sound the same its really only best to see them if you're really familiar with all their songs and can sing along and stuff. I always spend most of my time watching and singing along to bands I'm familiar with and dancing to bands I'm not so familiar with. Personally I liked Catch-22 (with tomas) better than I like Streetlight.

"I think basically the Grateful Dead is not for cranking out rock and roll, it's not for going out and doing concerts or any of that stuff, I think it's to get high...To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe...[not] unconscious or zonked out, I'm talking about being fully conscious...the Grateful Dead should be sponsored by the government or something. It should be a public service, you know, and they should set us up to play at places that need to get high."-Jerry Garcia, 1972

I see the light come shining, from the west down to the east.
Any day now, any day now, I shall be released.

Profile E-mail