Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Funk 'n Waffles HAS OPENED 2nd location in Armory Square
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:14 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Image above used to illustrate the story -- clearly from a past ska show.

http://www.syracuse.com/dining/index.ss ... y_squ.html

Quote:
"The Armory Square location will have the same waffle-based menu" and "the new location will also have a full liquor license"

"The alcohol license should allow the Armory Square location to attract bigger name acts, said Gold, who is himself a musician in the local funk and hip hop group Sophistafunk. Funk 'n Waffles currently books both national and local acts, ranging from funk to folk, ska to punk"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Funk 'n Waffles plans to open 2nd location in Armory Square
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:08 pm 
Syracuse Ska

I just added the photo from the story, because it's pretty clearly from a past ska show at Funk 'n Waffles -- Toasters? Royal City Riot?

Also, I just wanted to interject what should be an obvious comment -- if Funk 'n Waffles were to open a downtown location with alcohol, it would easily become a favored playing spot for older-skewing ska bands and their now largely 21+ fans. I've lost count of all the ska bands who have played Funk 'n Waffles and overall liked the vibe and space, but were frustrated that both themselves and their 21+ fans couldn't drink "adult beverages" during shows there. The lack of alcohol income also makes the rental price higher than it otherwise would be, which also isn't helpful to putting on shows. Altogether, it's why some of these bands have been playing other venues in town and why that will continue until something like this happens. We had a nice little run of shows at the old Stag Bar until it got sold to new owners who only wanted local bands, when any at all.

If this proposed downtown Funk 'n Waffles with alcohol happens, I can guarantee there will be ska bands playing there. Take that to the bank. :thumbup:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:26 pm 
Syracuse Ska

I'm stickying this again, because it's definitely happening.

I've become friends with a local vendor supplying critical components to this new project and when you look in the windows, you can see the construction work and Funk 'n Waffles menus. I'll be contacting Adam Gold to see if we can get a projected opening date and other details.

I see this as a potential new important venue for local ska for the 21+ set. All the ska bands that have played here before want to come back, but most won't work financially at the Westcott Theatre or Lost Horizon and I know that crowd is sick of abstaining from alcohol for ska shows. And if shows at this new place revive all ages shows at the original Funk 'n Waffles and Badlands, all the better.

For the record, I haven't given up doing shows, though given the current climate and venue situation, I just don't see the point at the moment. The last batch of all ages shows I put together were poorly attended and that's not fair to the touring bands and I can't justify endlessly shelling out cash from my pocket for what ends up as a less than positive experience for all concerned. We just don't seem to have a sizeable all ages base right now and have been lacking a smaller bar venue for those that used to go and have now aged out of all ages shows.

I am also focusing all my spare energies right now into our new alternative FM radio station to air in Syracuse early in 2015 that will most definitely be playing ska as part of the mix: http://www.syracuseradio.org

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:48 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:29 pm 
Upstate NY Reggae

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-build-the-funk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:03 am 
Upstate NY Reggae

I think they may be opening next week

Post subject: Re: Funk 'n Waffles HAS OPENED 2nd location in Armory Square
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:55 pm 
Syracuse Ska

For anyone that hasn't been to the new downtown location, it's an interesting set up.

It's actually two very different rooms linked by an archway. The southern room next to Crepe & Gelato Boulevard is basically a diner with all booths and sells from the familiar menu you've come to know and love. This side is always all ages and currently stays open until midnight, but will probably stay open later on weekends in the new year. It has it's own outside entrance, the one on the right from the street.

The northern room is the club/bar space with a wooden dance floor and sizable raised stage at the back. This room has little round tables and is for eating during the day and 21+ at night for shows, drinking and general hanging out. There is a security person in the archway to the diner side and another at the separate entrance on the street. And before someone asks, no, you can't see the stage from the diner side, except at the order counter a bit. But you'll definitely hear the music.

And to remind you, the University Hill location is also still doing live music and still all ages.

I think this new downtown location is an interesting approach that could be a nice compromise between the food, music and alcohol. I'd encourage people to try it out sometime soon.

The all ages diner side.

The 21+ live music/bar/dancing side. BTW, that railing at the front of the stage easily slides out when bands play.

Profile E-mail