Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Introductions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:58 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Let's get everyone to start by introducing yourself.

1) Your name, where you live, some general stuff like that.
2) What scooters do you own?
3) How did you get into scooters?
4) What do you like about scooters?
5) What are some of your favorite moments from scootering?

So, to begin:

1) SkaDanny in Syracuse NY. One of the three founding members of the Full Moon Scooter Club.
2) Currently, I own a '65 Vespa 150 (VBB) and a '64 Lambretta TV200. My original scooter was an '81 Vespa P200E and I've owned several project scooters through the years, including a Lambretta Jet 200 and a Vespa 125.

'64 Lambretta TV200 -- "Sherri"

3) I grew up in the Los Angeles area and was looking for basic transportation that was also stylish. Some of my friends knew some mods at UCLA and showed me their scooters, which got me hooked. And yes, I had my own little mod phase after that as well.
4) It's a fun way to get around with some style attached. Plus, you get to meet some great people as a result.
5) Rallies are great memories -- I've been to quite a few, including many Checkered Demon and Niagara rallies. And we had our own crazy rally at Chittenango Falls State Park in Cazenovia, which I'll never forget. I've also had some amazing long rides, including 1000 miles roundtrip from LA to Tucson AZ and back over an extended weekend and from Syracuse to NYC to Boston and then back to Syracuse one spring. I've also ridden down to Philly and to Atlantic City, NJ, among other places.

Okay, now for everyone else ... :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Introductions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:16 am 
New Kid

Live in auburn, just bought a vespa 07 lx 150, can't even ride it till sprig, haven't ridden a scoot since 77 when a kid. looking for other scooter riders for fun and info. Peace, love and scooters....

Anybody out there? Hello? is this forum dead? Just nod if you can hear me. Is there anyone at home?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:21 pm 
Syracuse Ska

summerman wrote:
Anybody out there? Hello? is this forum dead? Just nod if you can hear me. Is there anyone at home?

Not dead, but not active in the snow right now either. Some winters you can get a good amount of riding in, but not this one.

And if you get really inpatient with those of us in Syracuse, there are active groups in Rochester and Ithaca.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:40 pm 
New Kid

Do we get patches? jackets? secret handshakes? cool wave? I'm in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:56 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Come spring, the main goal is just going to be to start back up group rides. Most of our rides are going to originate at Recess Coffee in Syracuse, off Westcott Street. The owners have a matching pair of Stellas, which are basically Vespa PX150s made in India. It's a cool, very relaxed coffeehouse and the perfect place to meet before and after. And once we get a new group organized in the spring, we will collectively decide what to call it at that time. In the meantime, enjoy the snow. :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:41 pm 
Syracuse Ska

summerman wrote:
just bought a vespa 07 lx 150

Curious why you bought the Vespa LX150 if you don't mind me asking.

Here's a photo of one for those unfamiliar:

And here's a '65 Vespa 150 (VBB) like what I have:

I've owned a few Vespa scooters. My first one was a '83 Vespa P200E like below:

I got into vintage scooters because I like the look and because I like the people into them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 am 
New Kid

It was the first one I saw around here for sale. It was a great price and I don't have the time to mess with a vintage one as far as fixing, modifying etc. Also no shops around here. I was thinking of a Stella too but this was such a good buy that I went with it. I really love the older styles the best for sure. Right now I just want to get riding and then see what I like. I life the older more rounded style with the bigger front shields. I'm new to as I stated. Have not been on a scooter since maybe 76? and that was as a passenger ripping up and down the road while my friends took turns throwing corn cobs at us. We used to take turns doing that. Oh the fun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:24 pm 
New Kid

1) I'm Tim, I live in Camillus, NY- born here, schooled in Oklahoma, lived and worked in LA (actually know a guy out there who rode a P200E to UCLA years ago maybe you know him?)
2) Currently own a 2003 Stella, but have PO'd a Honda Spree, Honda Express, Yamaha Razz, and Honda Elite.
3) When I was in middle school there was a kid who rode a Razz by my house all the time and I had to have one.. Always wanted a Vespa 150 Rally, settled on a Stella for now!
4) I like the style, I like the ride, I like 2 cycle- its different and interesting, I like the mad bits to scooters, twist shifting etc.
5) Most every time I ride! Thats why I do ride! My neighbor in high school talked his mother into buying him a cheap korean scooter (which was faster than my 85 Elite 50 :roll: ) and we would ride until we ran out of gas almost every day.. it was a great time.

Attachments:
stella.jpg
stella.jpg [ 64.94 KB | Viewed 19192 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:11 pm 
New Kid

1) Anthony DeGreif, Ithaca, NY, I work at Ithaca College and own a local shop called Ithaca Scooter & Cycle (http://www.ithacascooter.com)
2) 1964 Heinkel Tourist, 2005 Stella, 1985 DiBlasi, '66 Vespa Blue Badge, Vespa Grande Moped
3) I grew up in the East County of San Diego. Motorcycles and scooters were always around with me and my friends. I guess I never outgrew it :)
4) What's not to like?!?!
5) Most of my favorite moments are scooter rally related. In addition I have met some great folks as a result of scootering.
http://scoot.net/gallery/pic.html?pic=382688

Attachments:
File comment: Meltdown 2009
meltdown2009.jpg
meltdown2009.jpg [ 102.42 KB | Viewed 19139 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:51 pm 
NJ Drama Queen

Love the Jet Black Stella. I'm painting my PE200 black this weekend!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:33 pm 
Where Am I???

1) Name, Rich, where you live....Liverpool NY, some general stuff like that. I have my own company so I get to "work from the Scooter " at Onondaga Lake park in the middle of the day. My Scooter is my office.
2) What scooters do you own? Ride 2 scooters (one at a time) , a VINO Classic (49cc) and a Vino 125.
Answer A:
When I was 7 years old, the biggest fear in my young life was that when I grow up, there would be no more motorscooters on Earth.
"Scooter Geddon" never happened thankfully.
Answer B: In parochial school we had auditorium movies, I would have preferred watching the nuns do a "steel Ruler Smackdown"....but the movies was what we got. One of these movies was a foreign film , Italian I think....with English voice-overs. A 14 year old boy was riding on some Italian coast road with his girlfriend...yes, on a Vespa. That was it for me. Had to have both.
4) What do you like about scooters?Scooters are minimalist. Very good in downtown rush hour traffic, I park up on the sidewalk, they go anywhere, easy on gas,
5) What are some of your favorite moments from scootering? A 100 mile ride on the 49cc Vino. Brewerton - Skaneateles - Weedsport- Liverpool - Brewerton. Excellent! I got to see all the dead woodchucks and muffler parts on the shoulder of the road....lots to see at 35 mph!

6) New Item: What is your next epoch venture on a scooter? New York City and back on backroads on the Vino 125 this summer 2011. Anyone want to go??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:01 pm 
New Kid

Hi! I hope to breath some life into this forum. I have always wanted a scooter and now I finally got one.

1) Your name, where you live, some general stuff like that.
Name's Andrew and I live in Liverpool NY and work in N. Syracuse.

2) What scooters do you own?
I had a 2013 Honda Metropolitan for about a week, but soon discovered the 49cc engine wasn't going to cut it for my commute. So I went with a Honda PCX 125.

Always thought they looked cool. grew up wanting one.

4) What do you like about scooters?
Small, economical, style

5) What are some of your favorite moments from scootering?
None yet, just started.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:28 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Pinnball79 wrote:
Hi! I hope to breath some life into this forum.

Considering you're now the 3rd local scooterist to post here in the past week, that's a step in the right direction.

Pinnball79 wrote:
I went with a Honda PCX 125.

Assuming it looks like this more or less?

Four stroke 125cc I presume? I saw those at Sport-Mann Suzuki in North Syracuse last time I was there, which is where I assume you bought yours. Honda has always made quality scooters and that's becoming the last non-Harley shop locally now that Fred's on Erie Blvd basically gave up.

Welcome aboard!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:42 pm 
New Kid

Haha that's it. Good detective work. Yeah I went to sport- Mann. Now I just wish I could get out there and ride. :)

Profile E-mail