Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Westcott venue up for public review
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:10 pm 
Upstate NY Reggae

PUBLIC NOTICE CITY OF SYRACUSE CITY PLANNING COMMISSION

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that a public hearing will be held Monday, July 21, 2008, at 6:00 p.m. in the Common Council Chambers, City Hall, Syracuse, New York to consider in full or in part the following applications:

15) Application No. SP-08-08, for a Special Permit to establish an Indoor Amusement and Recreation establishment on property located at 524-532 Westcott Street, owned by RJ Westcott Holdings, LLC (Jim Spinella) zoned Local Business, Class A pursuant to Part B, Section III, Article 2 and Part C, Section IV, Articles 1 and 2 of the City of Syracuse Zoning Rules and Regulations, as amended.

Last edited by Ras Adam on Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New Westcott venue?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:17 pm 
Rude & Reckless

it gives you the address.. how can you not be sure where it is?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:28 pm 
Upstate NY Reggae

because i'm sitting at home and i dont know what building that address is looks like from here.( i'll have to learn to use google.com)
i only know 505 westcott is the sushi planet. i know the dominos building was for sale across from recess with a huge car garage etc in the back.
maybe someone is putting in a roller rink back there and it could be a new live venue.
i know the WENA neighborhood association over there is not into the traffic/parking created by the westcott theater nightclub or anything else so it will be interesting. a

Last edited by Ras Adam on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:39 pm 
Upstate NY Reggae

Westcott Cinema, 524 Westcott Street, Syracuse, NY 13210 on ...

oh well,....

again the hood over there has always fought the impact of parking from concerts
so we'll see how hollaback fares.a

Post subject: Re: New Westcott venue up for public review
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:03 pm 
Upstate NY Reggae

"i know the dominos building was for sale across from recess with a huge car garage etc in the back. maybe someone is putting in a roller rink back there and it could be a new live venue."

get together and buy this (ska bakesale) and turn it into a live music venue. you'll pay your mortgae form dominos and vinny liquors rent,. a

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:42 pm 
Rude & Reckless

I wonder why this didn't happen BEFORE they put all the time and money into the space. There really is no parking in the area for a space the capacity that they are looking for. The dominos lot and the old Big M lot (lot behind UFC- wow does anyone else remember when that was a grocery store?) are hardly big enough COMBINED to meet capacity. Sure it will be nice for University kids who can walk (most likely stumble :aaargh: ) to the venue but the entire town isn't made of university kids- and what if they get a large enough act? surely there is going to be draw from surrounding areas.... i wonder if they have thought this through at all??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:11 pm 
The Gnarwhals

Jim spinella owns alto cinco I believe hes my old band instructors brother.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:19 pm 
Syracuse Ska

The parking issue if they get strong turnouts is a really big potential problem. One or two evenings where people can't get to Boom Babies, Metro Lounge and Alto Cinco is going to turn the merchants against this really fast. Parking is already bad around there and this could easily double or triple the problem.

I also don't think there are any buildings for sale in that area and even if there were, they'd be crazy expensive. The signs you see are probably for leasing space and that's not very cheap either and I really don't get why anyone would think differently. Decent-sized space OFF of Westcott Street goes for $1200+ per month and ON Westcott Street for even more. And that doesn't include utilities or insurance. This is commercial space, which always rents for more than residential space.

I recall when Tom went to close Zopies coffeehouse that several of us offered to take over his lease until we found out he was paying $1200 per month for that little basement space. That killed our idea really fast. Sara was paying $2000+ per month for No Borders No Boundaries at the end. This is why so many of these places don't make it and why bars are one of the few businesses that do. A good bar can make that in one night.

Profile E-mail