Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stay away from pay-to-play
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:50 pm 
Syracuse Ska

It's just come to my attention we have a new out of state pay-to-play operator in Syracuse.

http://bigtimeentertainment.net/states/syracuseny.html

Bigtime Entertainment, they call themselves.

A band has started a Never Pay To Play MySpace to highlight why these are such bad deals.

I think one of the bigger ones is:
CRAPPY SHOWS: Too many bands on the bill, a mismatched lineup of acts, too short of time on stage, admission price higher than normal, and an audience that won’t stay for the whole show (or are only interested in the band they came to vote for).

Also see BigTime Controversy in Portland Mercury.

While I don't want to embarrass anyone, many of us recognize some of the young bands listed as playing these upcoming Syracuse shows and they're using a reputable local venue, which gives them greater credibility. Apparently, this Oregon company has been at this for 2+ years now, so they're not going away quickly. But they certainly don't need to take advantage of bands in Syracuse. :thumbdown:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Stay away from pay-to-play
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:55 pm 
Rude & Reckless

they've been contacting bands around here for a while... it looks legit at first but then it turns out to just be crap.

but lets not forget that there are other pay to play acts in syracuse.. all the "blank @ hanover" events are pay to play

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:10 pm 
Kingston Beat

http://www.wig-out.com/&pay-to-play.htm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:22 pm 
Scene Diety

http://www.bigtimefeedback.com/Breakdown/

Door person needs minimum wage?

JOHANNA START HITTING DANNY UP FOR THAT SHIT!!!

haha

Boners.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:52 pm 
Kingston Beat

um i'm not a door person?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:16 pm 
Scene Diety

LaZy wrote:
um i'm not a door person?

You were at the show I was at!!!

I figured either you or Danny did door duty instead of having to pay someone.

Boners.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:36 pm 
Ruder Than You

Great news everyone, my band just got offered to be on a super legit major ska compilation cd and all we have to do is pay a measly 150 bucks and we are guaranteed fame and fortune.

I've also been recently notified that i am a distant relative of the King of Nigeria, and thus am 100% liable to all his riches.

Don't be jealous.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:37 pm 
Syracuse Ska

9sam1 wrote:
I've also been recently notified that i am a distant relative of the King of Nigeria, and thus am 100% liable to all his riches.

I'm not related, but I'm planning to share in the inheritance. I have to pay a small processing fee, but hey, for millions, why not?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:13 am 
The Gnarwhals

9sam1 wrote:
Great news everyone, my band just got offered to be on a super legit major ska compilation cd and all we have to do is pay a measly 150 bucks and we are guaranteed fame and fortune.

Don't be jealous.

who are you?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:44 am 
The Gnarwhals

i know bands who have made a lot of money off these shows and swear by them. you really dont "pay to play" unless shit is really bad. and all you're doing is selling tickets...i think thats nothing big. Its like the equivalent of promoting.

The girl doing the cuse stuff seems to know what shes doing.

Also: Ill gladly sell 25 $8 tickets in order to make $400 back (which i know for a fact one and made)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:08 pm 
Scene Diety

Don't forget your free 25 dollar gift cards to Macys!!!

Boners.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:02 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Skadillac wrote:
Also: Ill gladly sell 25 $8 tickets in order to make $400 back (which i know for a fact one and made)

According to their website, you get $25 for selling 25 $8 tickets. As it goes, 25x8=$200, so why would they double your money? That makes no sense. :scratch:

Their website also justifies a lot of overhead they probably don't really have, but the venue and sound and staff are always legit overhead expenses, which is why they can't double your money, sorry. You're either confused or someone is telling you a fairy tale.

BigTime Entertainment website wrote:
Actual Band Payment is always calculated in the following manner--regardless of market, venue, ticket price, or total show attendance: Each band is paid based on their actual draw for the night, according to BigTime's sliding payment schedule. 0-34 is $1 per ticket, 35-49 is $1.50 per ticket, 50+ is $2 per ticket, 73+ is $2.50 per ticket, 86+ is $3.50 per ticket, and 100+ is $4 per ticket.

According to that, you'd have to sell 100 tickets at $8 each to get $400. And thats an all local show with all unknown bands at $8 in advance, $10 day of show. If you can honestly do that, Kingston Beat will pay you more than $400, no problem. :thumbup:

I'm quite serious -- if any local bands really like this arrangement, we'd be more than happy to offer even more than BigTime is offering. They're giving you a fraction of the take on a crappy all local show where your band is acting as the headliner and doing all the promo for them and selling tickets in advance. I didn't think any local bands liked lopsided deals like that, but if they do, feel feel to hit us up -- that's a much better deal for the promoter then we normally get. :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:55 pm 
Ruder Than You

Comrade Rurik wrote:

who are you?

Some detective work on your part could have lead you to the conclusion that i am 9sam1.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:11 pm 
The Gnarwhals

skadanny wrote:
Skadillac wrote:

According to their website, you get $25 for selling 25 $8 tickets. As it goes, 25x8=$200, so why would they double your money? That makes no sense. :scratch:

Their website also justifies a lot of overhead they probably don't really have, but the venue and sound and staff are always legit overhead expenses, which is why they can't double your money, sorry. You're either confused or someone is telling you a fairy tale.

BigTime Entertainment website wrote:
Actual Band Payment is always calculated in the following manner--regardless of market, venue, ticket price, or total show attendance: Each band is paid based on their actual draw for the night, according to BigTime's sliding payment schedule. 0-34 is $1 per ticket, 35-49 is $1.50 per ticket, 50+ is $2 per ticket, 73+ is $2.50 per ticket, 86+ is $3.50 per ticket, and 100+ is $4 per ticket.

According to that, you'd have to sell 100 tickets at $8 each to get $400. And thats an all local show with all unknown bands at $8 in advance, $10 day of show. If you can honestly do that, Kingston Beat will pay you more than $400, no problem. :thumbup:

I'm quite serious -- if any local bands really like this arrangement, we'd be more than happy to offer even more than BigTime is offering. They're giving you a fraction of the take on a crappy all local show where your band is acting as the headliner and doing all the promo for them and selling tickets in advance. I didn't think any local bands liked lopsided deals like that, but if they do, feel feel to hit us up -- that's a much better deal for the promoter then we normally get. :mrgreen:

I understand your competitiveness as another promoter but i talked to the girl who was running them and theres a lot more to it. Yeah it may be a scam in certain areas but i support what goes on here. I went to one of the shows it had a few good bands and there were just as many people as a pretty big ska show (there were over 100 easy at the show i was at) so you gotta think just 100 kids at $8 minimum is $800 and funk and sound does not cost nearly that the door person gets paid and a chunk goes to whatever they do but that left over is still all money for local bands. The people get asked at the door who they bought their tickets from or if they're paying at the door who they came to see and thats how moneys distributed. That to me seems fair.

And danny not to throw stones but the "sell 100 presales at $8 and well give your $400" isnt a true statement. If you wanted to do that proportionally for the Sonic Boom 6 gig that didnt happen...just putting that out there.

Also for bands like mine...what do i have to lose? Ive sold advance sale tickets before and not seen a cut of the money or minimal. both of my bands rarely (once for each i think) ever get payed...so why not roll the dice? For most promoters around i use a half a tank of gas to get to that show and dont receive any payment for that so im technically paying to play right?

Jacksons Kid Summer is the band that made the hefty chunk they bring people out to their shows and have people who will pay $8 to see them. Good music is good music...local or not.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:37 pm 
The RoboBuddies

9sam1 wrote:
Don't be jealous.

RoboBuddies will also be on said compilation.
:king: <-Pimp

~Pat<3