Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's talk about local venues again
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:17 pm 
Syracuse Ska

While we've had this discussion before, it seems a good time to bring it back up again, especially as we have some new options and we'll soon be announcing some big fall shows that need to be in bigger venues that we don't usually use.

• Funk'n Waffles
    This is easily my favorite local venue right now. Great atmosphere, amazing sound system, improved new stage w/ lighting, awesome food, wonderful people running it. And its always all ages and even cheaper than the Westcott. We're trying to do as many shows as we can here, minus the really punky ones that really don't belong here. They're picky about who they allow in the space, but they love us and we love them too. Main drawbacks are the small size and during the school year its tough to get open dates. But other than that, we'll keep using them as much as we can.
  • Westcott Community Center
    Still the best place for a harder-edged show and we'll keep going back for that reason. I wish it was cheaper to use, but I appreciate better than most the financial pressure on them. Great tradition and history and always a good fallback venue. Tough scheduling on weeknights and most Fri or Sat nights.
  • Saint Clare Theater
    This is the place I'm hoping to start using instead of Klub Polski. Not as cavernous, much nicer and a more reasonable size. I also like that they don't serve alcohol, because parents hate that about Polski. This is where I'd like to do Skalloween, The Toasters, Sonic Boom Six, etc. We've just been striking out on dates so far. BTW, rental income here goes to pay for social services for poor people on the Northside, which is very cool.
  • Recess Coffee
    Two doors off Westcott Street, across from Domino's Pizza. If only they'd allow regular amplified shows, I'd be into using this place more. But I really hope to use them more often, even if it means more acoustic only shows. Great guys running this place.
  • 560 Allen Street
    These are house shows, right off Westcott Street, near Recess Coffee. They want us to do more shows there and it seems like a good idea for smaller bands on awkward days of the week. They were thrilled when we had Green Room Rockers there, but they're cool with harder music too. They're cleaning up the basement, so it should get better. I'm hoping everyone is okay with using this place, because I'm very serious about it. I just want a way to accommodate the smaller bands that we can't make work at the Westcott or Funk'n Waffles. Cool people living here.
  • Bull & Bear Pub
    Classy English style pub in Hanover Square in downtown Syracuse. Another place I'm very serious about. They're strictly 21+ only, but The Action! loves playing there and so do a lot of other ska bands. The owner is a cool dude who truly loves ska. I've just been lacking the time to follow up with him more, but its on my long list of things to get done.
  • Half Penny Pub
    A possible alternative to Bull & Bear, although not as nice, but arguably a better location in Armory Square.
  • Westcott Theater
    I've taken the tour and its going to be a large, nice space whenever it gets open. Most shows there will be 16+ with a bar. But they're still talking about a really high rental fee thats a deal breaker. We'll see.
  • Ukrainian National Home
    Awesome space. Great people. Almost impossible to reserve an actual date. But we'll keep trying to go back.
  • Klub Polski
    I'll give them credit for starting to fix the place up and they've been available when nothing else was, so we're in no position to get picky. But the place has quite some ways to go to get higher on most peoples lists, I'd guess. Mac is an awesome dude.
  • Mezzanote Lounge
    I've kind of given up on this place now, sorry. It's a nice space, don't get me wrong, but the location is awkward at best and because they're almost always age restricted, the location becomes a deal breaker.
  • Castle Rockmore
    Another place doing house shows, but in the attic, which is going to be brutal this summer. And 3 flights of stairs with gear. And in one of the sketchiest parts of town -- the southside near the intersection of South Salina and East Colvin. But hey, if kids will go to shows there, I'd down for trying some too. Super nice guys living there.
  • Lost Horizon
    They're open again, but our shows never fit the venue well in the past and I'd be surprised if they'd fit well in the future, but again, I'm always willing to explore options.

Any other places I should be including here? Other people's comments and/or feelings about these venues?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Let's talk about local venues again
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:03 pm 
Upstate NY Reggae

i see bands in planet 505 every weekend. i dont know if they'd rent out their swanky sushi bar to sweaty teens, but its a live venue. and i just got an email that the bookstore over the laundromat on westcott has some teeny shows. a

styleens has a stage and awful als too though no more cigars.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:07 pm 
Upstate NY Reggae

the inn complete up at skytop SU is rentable its a big old barn w/ balcony and plenty of parking. my friend has his wedding reception there. fri nights mark hoffman does live music there.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:09 pm 
Upstate NY Reggae

spark art gallery has concerts. back when it was called artisera my band opened for battalion of saints there,. a

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:11 pm 
Upstate NY Reggae

there's at least 20 vfws, posts, knights of colombus etc that have giant halls that might go for shows.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:14 pm 
Upstate NY Reggae

Bally Bay is a great venue w/ a giant room. They are used to live shows and its behind a bar for those inclined. its not far off geddes st exit of 690 and that makes it accessible.
http://www.thesession.org/sessions/display.php/234

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:44 pm 
Scene Diety

Quote:
They're cleaning up the basement, so it should get better.

seriously doubtful.
place is a mess
also it floods whenever it rains hard enough

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:52 pm 
Syracuse Ska

First off Ras Adam, why are you replying over and over instead of just one reply with all these comments? You made it a lot harder for me to reply to you. :scratch:

And I wasn't implying that I was giving an exhaustive rundown of local venues. There are probably several hundred in Onondaga County alone, if you want to get into it. I was talking about places we've used or are seriously considering using for shows in the near future. But I'll reply to your comments just the same ...

Ras Adam wrote:
i see bands in planet 505 every weekend. i dont know if they'd rent out their swanky sushi bar to sweaty teens, but its a live venue. and i just got an email that the bookstore over the laundromat on westcott has some teeny shows.

Metro Lounge (former Planet 505) is doing live music, correct. And they're already screwing bands playing there. I guess they didn't want to waste any time on that. But it's 21+ and no, they're not renting it out so far. Jeff Jones books it, but Gabe pays you and he's undermining what Jeff is trying to do. Seems to be the Planet 505 drama all over again. Thanks, but no thanks.

Ras Adam wrote:
styleens has a stage and awful als too though no more cigars.

Again, Ohm Lounge (former Styleens) is 21+ and yeah, there are lots of stages locally, besides venues without them. There is nothing about either place to recommend it for what we're looking to do, however. A point you seem to be overlooking.

Ras Adam wrote:
the inn complete up at skytop SU is rentable its a big old barn w/ balcony and plenty of parking. my friend has his wedding reception there. fri nights mark hoffman does live music there.

I know the space, but wasn't aware they were allowing the general public to use it. I also don't recall a stage, which again would throw it back into the same league as the Westcott. But do you have any idea who at SU actually runs it? Because as you well know, its hard to figure that out most of time.

Ras Adam wrote:
spark art gallery has concerts.

Again, I'm quite aware of this, as I've been there several times myself. But its only a little cheaper than using Funk'n Waffles or
the Westcott, its quite small and there is no stage or sound included, so what would be the point?

Ras Adam wrote:
there's at least 20 vfws, posts, knights of colombus etc that have giant halls that might go for shows.

And I've called dozens of them. Ever wondered why you never see concerts listed for any of them? BECAUSE THEY ALL REFUSE TO ALLOW THEM. Seems they've all been burned on punk shows or know a hall that has and now every show is a punk show to them. That's the same reason Klub Polski stopped doing these shows for many years and I doubt most people appreciate how many hoops Mac has had to jump through to get shows back in there.

Ras Adam wrote:
Bally Bay is a great venue w/ a giant room. They are used to live shows and its behind a bar for those inclined. its not far off geddes st exit of 690 and that makes it accessible.

Are they actually doing concerts there anymore? Because I don't see anyone doing anything there and that link is from 2003.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:00 pm 
Syracuse Ska

TrevoRoverT wrote:
Quote:

seriously doubtful.
place is a mess

I got that from an extended conversation with the guy now coordinating the shows there. I still know people that live there and its not like they're incapable or unwilling to do that. And it floods in a lot of places when it rains hard enough. When it snows enough, the Westcott shuts down. Lost Horizon shut down for awhile because a pipe burst in the ceiling. I'm sure Castle Rockmore will not be available during major police busts like that happened on that street the other day. Shit happens. :rambo:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:10 pm 
Juicy J

Saint Claire has the worst sound. The sound at Polski is better than their. I'm not really into that venue especially because the area it's located at is very sketchy. I think although Polski serves alcohol, parents would be more willing to drop their kids off there then at Saint Claire. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:13 pm 
The Gnarwhals

I back Westcott, FNW, 560, and Castle Rockmore.

560 is really lenient with the shows, Joe put one on a few weekends ago and everyone had a blast and shit was awesome.

Castle Rockmore is awesome, plain and simple. The stairs are definitely a setback, but it's a fun place to see bands.

Westcott will always be my favorite Venue.

FnW is fun and clean. The sound dude/owner(?) is pretty nice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:19 pm 
Scene Diety

skadanny wrote:
TrevoRoverT wrote:
Quote:

seriously doubtful.
place is a mess

I got that from an extended conversation with the guy now coordinating the shows there. I still know people that live there and its not like they're incapable or unwilling to do that. And it floods in a lot of places when it rains hard enough. When it snows enough, the Westcott shuts down. Lost Horizon shut down for awhile because a pipe burst in the ceiling. I'm sure Castle Rockmore will not be available during major police busts like that happened on that street the other day. Shit happens. :rambo:

im not saying its impossible
im saying it would be really surprised (and happy) if it happened
and as far as the flooding, it didnt really take much...
we had to cover the whole floor with plywood
it was actually pretty wild

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:42 am 
Upstate NY Reggae

Ras Adam wrote:

skadanny wrote"
"Are they actually doing concerts there anymore? Because I don't see anyone doing anything there and that link is from 2003."

if the search engine on this board worked i'd look up the marley birthday show i posted here
at bally bay with akuma roots and bunch of local rasta persformers.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:47 am 
Upstate NY Reggae

it seems like most churches with all time low numbers of parishioners (sp)
many struggling with their bills would have some shows in their fellowship halls.
the erwin methodist on westcott n euclid has a giant room in the basement with a stage.
i've been to church there w/ only 20 other people. seem like cool people it would be worth inquiring. and there s many more around here. a

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:02 am 
Rude & Reckless

Ska-teboarding wrote:
Saint Claire has the worst sound. The sound at Polski is better than their. I'm not really into that venue especially because the area it's located at is very sketchy. I think although Polski serves alcohol, parents would be more willing to drop their kids off there then at Saint Claire. Just my opinion.

i have to completely disagree with you on all points.
polski is a dump, sound is terrbile because of the size and shape of the hall, and its got no parking to speak of.

st. claire is actually a pretty nice place, its really not in any sketchier place than the westcott is, and the size of the room makes it much easier to do sound.