Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RazSum Unplugged at Coffee Pavilion
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:15 am 
Syracuse Ska

That was easily one of the coolest, most fun events we've had in a mad long time. And the best part is, it sounds like everyone wants to do it again.

Should we keep it on the acoustic side like it was? I mean, would it have been less cool with regular bands playing? I'm kinda unsure about that in my own mind. I think the best part was that that we had members of RazSum, The Verbs, Magic Goat and Justine's crew all in the same little intimate show where we got to see other sides of all of them. THATS what I think made it so very special.

Any other comments??

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:03 pm 
Ska Queen

Yeah dude. That show was friggin' amazing. Maybe I'm slightly biased since it was my first show, and I was wicked nervous, but it was just soooo good.

We totally have to do it again. I think that making it a monthly unplugged ska acoustic jam thing at Coffee Pavilion would be great.

And I'm sure we'll get a TON more people when we have the line up figured out ahead of time and can promote it more, eh?

Good fun. Easily one of the best weekends in my life thusfar. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:33 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Aiyana Catori wrote:
Yeah dude. That show was friggin' amazing. Maybe I'm slightly biased since it was my first show, and I was wicked nervous, but it was just soooo good.

We totally have to do it again. I think that making it a monthly unplugged ska acoustic jam thing at Coffee Pavilion would be great.

And I'm sure we'll get a TON more people when we have the line up figured out ahead of time and can promote it more, eh?

Good fun. Easily one of the best weekends in my life thusfar. :)

Yeah, that was one of my all time favorite evenings too.

I've often been jealous how at Castaways every week they have Reggae Tuesdays with the Dub Astronauts, which I understand started off as an all star band of members from various Ithaca reggae bands (like JBB). And then Will just adds in whoever is passing through, which is how he's been able to book a ton of obscure (to our area, anyway) trad ska bands from all over the country at no risk to his venue. The base audience there every week comes out for the Dub Astronauts no matter what, so he knows he'll have enough money every Tuesday.

Chris Murray does the same exact deal in LA with the Bluebeat Lounge every Tuesday and others are doing it all over the country. Bluebeat Lounge is all ages, alcohol with ID, which is exactly the deal with Coffee Pavilion. The owner would love to have a weekly event that drew well, but for now, we should just aim for monthly and see how that goes first, ya know?

But yeah, let's see if we can get something monthly going. And I'm hoping we might get some of The Benefits involved and others. : )

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:30 pm 
Ska Queen

Once a month for now sounds good. We should try that for a couple monthes, then when fall comes and everyone is back maybe we can do a bi-weekly thing. I think the ska scene is strong enough now, that there are enough people involved, that we can get something going.

Is there any chance that we can make this a Sunday night thing, since it's summer and people don't have to worry about school as much now? Or is the Coffee Pavilion not open that late..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:04 am 
Paid Some Dues

I love that Raz Sum music and the acoustic stuff, especially when they're just having fun. I think it would be a good idea to continue with it.

*Plus my girlfriend and I always manage to get front seats at shows there*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:31 am 
Syracuse Ska

Aiyana Catori wrote:
Is there any chance that we can make this a Sunday night thing, since it's summer and people don't have to worry about school as much now? Or is the Coffee Pavilion not open that late..

The owner told me he doesn't want music on Sundays at all, any time of day. He feels people come there on Sundays for quiet relaxation.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:17 am 
Ska Queen

Oh that's right. I've asked you before and you told me that..

Duh.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:15 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Aiyana Catori wrote:
Oh that's right. I've asked you before and you told me that..

Duh.

Yeah, otherwise, I'd have put The Cohorts there ...

Profile E-mail