Post subject: magic goat, hobo slobo...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:33 pm 
Scene Diety

where exactly is the show tomorrow?

i may go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:35 pm 
Magic Goat

the annex coffeehouse in manlius, located on route 173 in manlius, i can't really give you specific directions until you inform me where your coming from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:37 pm 
Scene Diety

im coming from the village of liverpool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:38 pm 
Ska Queen

Rosie and I will be there. And I hear that Derek of RazSum is coming too. No idea when we're getting there though. I'm Rosie's ride and she has some going away party to go to for a friend before that and who knows when that will be done.

What's the order of bands tomorrow?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:42 pm 
Paid Some Dues

Trevor...

you mind giving me a ride there? :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:44 pm 
Scene Diety

yeah i gotcha back homes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:55 pm 
Magic Goat

yeah order of the bands is that magic goat will be playing last, and that's all we know, dan prolly has more info

from the village of liverpool -

take 81 south through the city then get on 690 east, get off at the fayetteville exit, stay in the lane you end up in, you can stay in it the entire way. You will now be on highbridge road, you will take this for a good couple of miles until you come to the junction with route 173. get in the left lane before hand though, so you can turn easier. here at the junction you will see a burger king on you left and an aplus on you right, and an alterra right in front. take 173 to the first light and take your second left (the first being the one way street on your left. after taking the second left take the next left on to mesonic. this i one way, there is parking here, the annex you just passed and is to the the left in the bulding. if no parking find a street.

anyway questions i should be on aim - emajohann

get there early it supposed to be really crowded, lot of people coming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:12 am 
Scene Diety

thank you very much

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:04 pm 
Ska Queen

okay, i just checked Spencer's away message, and it says that the show costs $2 now. when did that happen? i thought i was supposed to be free..

???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:00 pm 
Magic Goat

it was changed to 2 dolalrs cause that's his way of crowd control, supposedly there's like a ton of kids going, so he put a two dollar cover on it beause he had something similar happen last year with a emo band named Vapor Aevum, and they had people pouring out of this sort of small coffee house (no pun intended), but yeah that's why, and it is still two dollars, hope to see you all there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:36 pm 
Magic Goat

yep the $2 is ethans (annex owners) idea. $2 is next to nothing and i have payed $5 to see both other bands, by themselves, on other occasions and been satisfied. this show will be well worth the minimal cover charge.

the annex is located at 315 E seneca st in manlius. zip code is 13104 for any map questers out there. the builing is half yellow and half pink, parking is behind it. it will be packed so be there early.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:45 am 
Ska Queen

so, any word on if we had any problems with kids who didn't get the message that it was gonna be 2 bucks and didn't have the money to pay?

that ethan guy, you think he'd let us do some acoustic shows there? something a little smaller, perhaps? :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:51 pm 
Magic Goat

obviously i cant speak for ethan but i know he wants to do alot more shows there. i think once he told me he wants the annex to be the awesome little coffee house everyone wants to play when they come through town. im not sure on that but ive got his business card some where. if you are interested in talking about future shows at the annex i can give you his #.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:05 pm 
Ska Queen

Yeah. It seems like too small of a place to do more than one or two sets, but it is a nice little venue. Was he charging you for the space or did you get it for free because he got business? And what exactly is your connection to him? Like, how do you know him? Yeah, I'd totally love his number.

I'd really like to get this show together with me, Mike Larkin, and Liam of Belarus ASAP. I have a few coffee houses in mind. I actually think the Cafe Milan would be a nice place for acoustic shows. I talked to the owner there, and I've known her for a year or so now, and she said she'd be totally cool with a couple people coming and playing a show there every once and while.

Anyway, if you don't want to post all this business type info here, you can go ahead and e-mail everything to me. blackmoo2@hotmail.com

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:47 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Aiyana Catori wrote:
Yeah. It seems like too small of a place to do more than one or two sets, but it is a nice little venue. Was he charging you for the space or did you get it for free because he got business?

If you just want to set up an acoustic show, there is no shortage of coffeehouses willing to oblige you. Besides the obvious ones, there is also the Lucky Moon Cafe on East Genesee St, near Syracuse Stage.

While its true that most coffeehouses will let you do a little acoustic show now and then without expectations, generally speaking, they look for them to draw paying customers in the door. Same with open mic nights. I'm sure The Annex wasn't charging whoever set up the show, because remember, the show originally was free admission. Most coffeehouses will add an admission charge when they perceive they'll be sending people away. It cuts down on the size of the crowd and gives them extra income to boot. Plus, too often when a coffeehouse is crowded like that, especially with underage kids, they don't end up selling much at the counter anyway.

Every venue I've used has liked me doing shows there precisely because I see them as a business that needs to make money and not simply as a cheap space for a show. I find owners appreciate that.

Profile E-mail