Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Against me?????
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:09 pm 
The Secret Ions

What does everyone think of Against Me and for what reasons. I heard them when they're first cd Reinventing Axl Rose and got ahold of that. I loved everything about that cd.

There next one came out and it was definitely different. Most songs really strayed away from their sound they had originally which is what I really liked about them. I still enjoyed the music and assumed that was just them growing as a band.

I've heard one song from their new cd and am not too impressed. It's by no means bad, just doesn't sound much like the Against Me I really liked. Of course I can't judge their new cd by one song but I don't see any reason for them to release that song as a single if it sounds nothing like the others.

Basically it seems as though half the people worship them and the other half loathe them. I'm just curious why those that dislike them so much do and for what reasons other than their music.

I'm kinda looking for a good answer from Steven Parker, he seems like a very well rounded guy musically and I know from previous posts that he doesn't care for them much. Why is that? I'm not doubting you or anybody else, I just want to know if there is a really good reason to just absolutely dislike them, what is it?

I also wanna know what everyone finds so great about them. People are going apeshit just talking about going to see them. They're good I think but not worth that much excitement.

I don't know really, just looking for some other's opinions.

"I think basically the Grateful Dead is not for cranking out rock and roll, it's not for going out and doing concerts or any of that stuff, I think it's to get high...To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe...[not] unconscious or zonked out, I'm talking about being fully conscious...the Grateful Dead should be sponsored by the government or something. It should be a public service, you know, and they should set us up to play at places that need to get high."-Jerry Garcia, 1972

I see the light come shining, from the west down to the east.
Any day now, any day now, I shall be released.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:34 pm 
The LeVar Burtones

I have Reinventing Axl Rose and I really like it

http://www.myspace.com/thelevarburtones

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:48 pm 
Show Regular

Nah!

I'm not going to be negative anymore.

Put simply... and all music/record labels aside... I just don't agree with the choices that these guys have made as PEOPLE or as a band.

They're just another generic band in a big ocean of generic bands to me now.

If you're a fan of the poppy folk punk kind of sound... you should check out Defiance, Ohio. Super nice guys, tons of heart and passion and amazing tunes. Their full length lp is on Friends and Relatives records, and I think you can get a CD version of it from somewhere.

I have not checked out their site in quite some time. But, I think you can download all their music right off of it. And if you're on dial up or something, I can make you a tape if you want.

Post subject: Re: Against me?????
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:55 pm 
Slum Lord

Jeff wrote:
Basically it seems as though half the people worship them and the other half loathe them. I'm just curious why those that dislike them so much do and for what reasons other than their music.

When you're talking about a band it tends to revolve around the music. I'm not a fan of Against Me! at all and am dumbfounded about how much hype they get. I personally think that the vocalist isn't that great and the instrumentals aren't that solid, in my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:55 pm 
585 Ska

STEVEN PARKER wrote:
If you're a fan of the poppy folk punk kind of sound... you should check out Defiance, Ohio. Super nice guys, tons of heart and passion and amazing tunes. Their full length lp is on Friends and Relatives records, and I think you can get a CD version of it from somewhere.

I have not checked out their site in quite some time. But, I think you can download all their music right off of it. And if you're on dial up or something, I can make you a tape if you want.

http://defianceohio.terrorware.com/

Big thumbs up for offering their music in Ogg Vorbis format, through BitTorrent and under a Creative Commons license. </open-source geek>

Last edited by aka_twitch on Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:03 pm 
Scene Diety

defiance, ohio....

Tanks, tanks, tanks. Bombs, bombs, bombs. Nuclear heat-seeking battleships!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:16 pm 
Show Regular

Against Me! puts on an amazing show. I love their music, I respect their message, and it's just one of those bands that is out there doing what they love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:24 pm 
The Secret Ions

Well they're sound definitely changed from their first to second album. (Whether that's because they signed to Fat Wreck or not I don't know. Maybe their signing to Fat Wreck is why you don't agree with their decision making.)

I think Tom writes good lyrics, some of my favorite to listen to though there are still contenders, he's definitely not the best.

Personally, the way I see it, if you like the music who cares if they "sold out", changed their sound, or any of that nonsense. Until I meet them in person and get to know them I can only judge them by their music.

"I think basically the Grateful Dead is not for cranking out rock and roll, it's not for going out and doing concerts or any of that stuff, I think it's to get high...To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe...[not] unconscious or zonked out, I'm talking about being fully conscious...the Grateful Dead should be sponsored by the government or something. It should be a public service, you know, and they should set us up to play at places that need to get high."-Jerry Garcia, 1972

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:33 pm 
Show Regular

Selling out, f*ck over friends... who cares as long as the music sounds good, right?

I said it had nothing to do with Fat... some of my favorite bands have been on Fat.

I'm not gonna sit here and bad mouth em anymore, for they have nothing to do with anything I'm apart of.

Enjoy the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:04 pm 
The Secret Ions

STEVEN PARKER wrote:
Selling out, f*ck over friends... who cares as long as the music sounds good, right?

......well....that is why I asked isn't it? I was curious to know why people have things against them.

And it's still beyond me how anybody even becomes that educated about a band's personal issues.

I believe everything you just said, just how the hell do you know all this? To me it always has been I enjoy the music, therefore, there's no reason to not like the band.

It's not like I was cognizant of the fact that the cd I am enjoying was made in part due to the fact that the members of against me did in fact betray or screw over some close friends.

Until I know all this information or where all these people get it from (my previous question about the reel big fish/aaron issue) I can only judge the band based on their music, if there is for some reason something I should know about the band that may in fact change my feelings about them, I would sure as hell love to hear it. Otherwise, all I really can do is enjoy the music.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:07 am 
Rude & Reckless

They went from singing about not caring about ticket prices just wanting to play to demanding lots of cash and telling promoters that the ticket sales weren't high enough to their liking.

Personally I had a demo of theirs where it was basically the one guy. It was good. I heard the remastered versions of the songs and they lost the touch. Not that I agreed with them at all just the feel that it was like from the heart was all gone. I haven't bothered with them at all.