Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kanye West Blasts Bush!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:17 pm 
Rude & Reckless

check out this link. kanye west absolutely amazing job.

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Kayne-West-Bush-Black-People.mov

go go gergie signing off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:24 pm 
Show Regular

Of making an idiot of himself on national TV.

Whether or not you agree with what he said is irrelevant in this case. His remarks have consequences. He chose the wrong time to make a politcal statement.

There are very impressionable people out there who will take him at his word, because he is lionized by millions.

Not to mention that in New Orleans could incite violence against National Guard or police units there to help them because of those remarks. There are people out there who will associate these people with Bush, who apparently is a racist and is doing nothing to help the black people. Those people will see those units as a threat, not as an aid and will react as such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:10 pm 
Show Regular

THE WRONG TIME?

LIVE TELEVISION.

No little bleeps. Nothing!

The only thing they could do is cut to Chris Tucker who looked dumbfounded.

I owe Kanye one high five.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:18 am 
Scene Diety

Yeah, I'm on the other side on this one, Karen. I think it was the perfect time for it. Nobody was talking about it openly up to that point - sure, there was talk here and all over the 'Net, but no one in the media. Rather than coming across as a fool, I thought he came across as very emotional and upset, which is exactly how I would expect him to be.

And there's no way what he said would incite violence in New Orleans, because no one in New Orleans could see the broadcast. The people there won't have seen them as any more of a threat than they did already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:08 am 
Show Regular

Quote:
And there's no way what he said would incite violence in New Orleans, because no one in New Orleans could see the broadcast. The people there won't have seen them as any more of a threat than they did already.

And they already know George W Bush hates them.

That's why it's a blue state.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:50 pm 
Paid Some Dues

I'm with Karen on this one.

This is a time for the nation to come together and help those who have been affected by this natural disaster, NOT a time for personal agendas or political mudslinging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:05 pm 
Checkered Demon

It's always a time for political agendas. I haven't seen the clip and I don't much have an urge at the moment as per spanish homework is calling my name, but considering if you look at the statistics, the people who were left behind in the wake of Katrina seem to fall along two lines- social class stratification lines and racial lines (or both). The government knew this would be the result (there are documented reports that I don't have the energy or care enough to look up) and they didn't prepare for it. Why? Perhaps because Bush doesn't care. Perhaps because the government doesn't care. Perhaps because the American public doesn't care.

The fact of the matter is, regardless of who it is that doesn't care, the time to speak up about it is now when someone actually might take notice. The issue needs to be taken into consideration. And now- not in 6 months when half the population will have forgotten and moved on to worrying more about the price of gas (which is already becoming the growing trend) than the people whose lives have been ruined. If no one speaks now, it won't matter if anyone speaks at all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:18 pm 
Scene Diety

mel wrote:
I'm with Karen on this one.

This is a time for the nation to come together and help those who have been affected by this natural disaster, NOT a time for personal agendas or political mudslinging.

I respectfully disagree. If you listen to the Bush administration, it's been time to pull together and not speak out for the last four years, and look where it's gotten us. The best time to push forward your agenda is when the reasoning behind it is clear: strike the hammer while the iron is hot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:20 pm 
Syracuse Ska

mel wrote:

I don't see this as a personal agenda. Quite the contrary, I see it as a public agenda.

I also don't see this as side-lining the effort to help those affected by this disaster. I was extremely embarrassed how ineptly our government responded to this initially. My sister is back from Bali, Indonesia with her new Balinese husband and he's astounded that one of the richest countries on earth had so much trouble responding. His own country of Indonesia responded more quickly to it's tsunami disaster than we did to our own version of it. BTW, this reminds him a LOT of what he saw in Indonesia.

But as I was saying, we can help these people at the same time we criticize government officials. They're not mutually exclusive. FEMA just doesn't operate the way it needs to. It wasn't until a military official took over the New Orleans evacuation that it started to run properly.

Maybe this would be a much nicer mission for the US military than the thankless task in Iraq. I've always been jealous of those Canadian Armed Forces TV recruiting ads where they say, "Hey! Come join the Canadian Army or Navy and help rescue people or serve on a peace-keeping mission". :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:39 am 
Scene Diety

STEVEN PARKER wrote:
Quote:

And they already know George W Bush hates them.

That's why it's a blue state.

Actually, it's not. I was surprised, too. Then I remembered that Louisiana is where David Duke got 44% of the vote when he ran for governor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:06 am 
Show Regular

Damn. :oops:

That's what I get for watching too much CNN.