Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:23 pm 
Paid Some Dues

Tip the Van would be the best choice, I would say, but I think that either of the other bands would be fine as well, even if they're not the greatest bands ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:53 am 
Checkered Demon

Aiyana Catori wrote:
I'm really looking forward to it. I want to spend a lot of time in the American Indian floor of that one hall.. I forget what it's called right now. It's right by The Trillium, they were doing a TON of construction there last time I was up there.

Hehe. I actually think they were renovating a library.. Hahaha.

Mann Library. Or at least I'm assuming you mean the one on the Ag quad. They've been doing a lot of work over on the Ag quad (where kennedy is- which is the building in which trillium is).

I'm more of an Olin and Uris fan, but that's cause I'm Arts and Sciences and tend to stay near the arts quad...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:51 pm 
Ska Queen

Yeah, that was it. Hehe, I heart both the Ag and Arts quads. And they're relatively close to each other, which is nice. Ahh, yet oh so far away from the dorms, dammit. But it's a nice walk, so I have no problems with it. In fact, I'm looking forward to it.

And just in case I don't get into Cornell, (which of course I will,) I'm looking at the University of Virginia, UConn, Alfred University, or UB or SUNY Albany as last ditch choices. Good list, eh?

Sometimes I wish I weren't so attached to my little sister or local bands, because Colorado State and the University of Arizona both look really good as well. Alas, they are much too far away, and I can't be that far away from my darling sister when she's just starting high school.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:44 pm 
Checkered Demon

Haha, you're list is pretty short. Kind of like mine was...I wanted to go away, but didn't want to be excessively far. i really wanted to be 3-3.5 hours from NYC, but i figured I could stretch that a little.

Fordhambecause it's a really good school, I knew I'd get in, and just in case at the last minute i decided i wanted to stay home.

University of Maryland, College Park because it's a really good school, i knew i'd get in, and i wanted to go away. I really planned on going to UMD.

Yale as a reach school just to see what would happen.

Cornell because it was secretly where i really wanted to go, but I didn't even admit it to myself because I didn't think I was going to get in.

The Ag and Arts quads really aren't that close though. And yeah, they are a hike from the dorms on north where freshman live, but so is EVERYTHING. North is a really good experience though. I'm glad that all the incoming freshman live in the same general area.

I have more of a hike now that I'm off campus. Therefore, I take the bus to campus:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:45 pm 
Ska Queen

Yeah, I really like Yale too. But they don't have a marching band, and I automatically throw out any schools that don't have a marching band. It's why I decided not to consider Harvard either.. Well that and I really just don't like it much any way, no matter how much crap they keep offering me to get me to apply there. Dammit.

Yeah, there's no way in hell I'm doing marching band for six effing years in high school and suffering through it and loving it all and then not continueing with it in college.

Hehe. I love that at Cornell you can make marching band be your P.E. credit. :D It makes life a lot easier. 'Specially since I'm a lazy bum. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:56 pm 
Paid Some Dues

The Flamingos and The Flaming Tsunamis are both groups of awesome people. They play great live, both bands, and they are good to work with. The most memorable moment I will ever have is when I tried to put on a show in Albany at this place called The New Age Cabaret (never book a show there), and the owner double booked a show. We tried to work things out, the other booker and I, but things were going horribly. The two shows clashed, and there were fights being started. So, I basically said, "f*ck this, let's go to my house." We did just that and had a show with about 40 kids in my backyard. The Flamingos played great, as always. The Flaming Tsunamis played awesome (lots of energy) until being shut down by the cops. Then the Naked Citizens played, and they are always fun to see live. It was a load of fun, and both The Flamingos and Flaming Tsunamis are great bands with great music, as well as really nice guys.

I'd say get them to Syracuse, Danny, and get us on the show too :D

Logan*