Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Connecticut ska anyone???
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:13 pm 
Syracuse Ska

I'm thinking of inviting one or more bands from Connecticut to play in Syracuse soon. The main ones I have in mind are:

The Flaming Tsunamis
The Flamingos
Tip The Van

There are links to their websites and mps here: CT Ska

Please lemme know your thoughts, okay??

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:20 pm 
Show Regular

I haven't heard the other two, but I'm not really a fan of the Flaming Tsunamis. I was sent their CD for free when Kill Normal Records took three months to get me an ASOB cd.

Post subject: my always so popular 2 cents...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:58 pm 
Show Regular

The Flamingos... The vocals might get unexcuseably annoying after 10 minutes. I wouldn't go see em.

Tip The Van, musically, reminds me of this band called Cousin Oliver... They sound like a lot of fun too! I enjoy the vocal stylings. A very catchy tune. I'd come see this band.

The Flaming Tsunamis..... hurray, more fast distorted guitar lines with horns put over them. Not only is this incredibly boring, but it's also incredibly ANNOYING. I would not go see this band. Unless it was a bit too hectic here, and I needed a palce to take a nap.

Oh, by the way, double bass in a ska band... is LAME.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:23 pm 
Paid Some Dues

i would go see them and i think alot of other high school kids would to most like punk-ska . Maybe not the older crowd thougjh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:27 pm 
Show Regular

Edited because I'm a jerkface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:31 pm 
Paid Some Dues

true, many of the high school students (me being included) like to dance and like energy. Although i did personally like WBT (their guitarist rocked!) many of my friends thought it was too slow paced. too short notice was surely a hit for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:54 pm 
Show Regular

Brandon wrote:
true, many of the high school students (me being included) like to dance and like energy. Although i did personally like WBT (their guitarist rocked!) many of my friends thought it was too slow paced. too short notice was surely a hit for them.

WbT is pretty dancable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:00 pm 
Checkered Demon

TTV is awesome. I haven't gotten to see them yet, but I love their demo.

TFT is a good time. I've seen them once and listen to "Focus the Fury" and "Zombies Vs. Robots" pretty often. They have an edge to them and I enjoy it. Andy's also a good dude.

The Flamingos are a good time. I don't have their cd or anything, but I saw them play a show at Red Zone in Queens with Too Short Notice and despite the fact that the show itself was a disappointment (half the bands that were listed to be palying were never actually booked and didn't show up) TSN and The Flamingos made it an enjoyable afternoon. Their singer has a lot of energy.

I think in terms of the current syracuse ska scene, TTV is your best bet for getting a draw or at least fitting in with other bands, but TFT might be a slightly more well known name (or maybe i'm just really too close into the KNR thing because of ASOB).

I'm not sure if they're considered CT or not because I think technically they're from just outside of Westchester, NY, but they play CT a lot (at the Empress in Danbury), but No Name Charlies are cool kids who put on a pretty good show. Their EP "Three Blocks Down" is pretty enjoyable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:40 am 
Syracuse Ska

AskTheMagic8Ball wrote:
I'm not sure if they're considered CT or not because I think technically they're from just outside of Westchester, NY, but they play CT a lot (at the Empress in Danbury), but No Name Charlies are cool kids who put on a pretty good show. Their EP "Three Blocks Down" is pretty enjoyable.

They're from Westchester County NY, which I know because I used to be friends with a grrl there who went to high school with them (she hated them back then, btw). That's so close to CT, its no surprise they play there a lot. I haven't checked them out in a long time, so maybe its time to give them another listen?

I agree that Tip The Van is the most compatible to us right now, but they'll also probably be the hardest of those 3 to get here, because they don't travel much yet. :cry:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:12 am 
Magic Goat

Tip the van is great, i found some of their stuff on purevolume and id love to see them live.

the flamingos are pretty cool as well.

i have only heard of the flaming tsunamis.

of the three, id like to see tip the van the most.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:35 am 
Syracuse Ska

Dan of Magic Goat wrote:
Tip the van is great, i found some of their stuff on purevolume and id love to see them live.

Yeah, the guys in Tri-State Conspiracy recommended them. Said they're a lot of fun. I've been talking to the lead singer about it for awhile, but like I said, I gather they have rarely been out of CT, so the idea is a little odd to them, but hopefully they'll warm up to it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:34 pm 
Checkered Demon

they just won a contest hosted at the empress ballroom that ended with them getting signed to Asbestos records (as did Jay Tea from ASOB). So, perhaps, they will have some support in traveling. I don't know how much Asbestos helps out with stuff like that.

Random: But Jay Tea told me he was probably going to be doing some shows in the Ithaca area come September. It might be cool to try to get him in 'Cuse. Not ska per se, but he's a good time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:39 pm 
Ska Queen

Sounds good. I'm diggin' Tip The Van. The others are decent, not the best, on the worst. Let's go for it. If we get kids actually listening to these guys, maybe we can get a real show out of it.

Ithaca? I LOVE Ithaca? Hehe, have I ever mentioned that before? Man, I'm wicked excited about the whole Reggae night thing at Castaway and Tuesday. I'm gonna friggin' LIVE there if I get into Cornell..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:28 pm 
Checkered Demon

No, my dear, you're going to live in the library :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:30 pm 
Ska Queen

Bwahaha. I love the music complex they have there. And the theater kick ass, as does the art museum. Hehe, I'll probably end up spending most of my time in the libraries yes. It helps that I love libraries already as it is, and hanging out there to study and do work makes it even better.

I want to stay in Akwe:gon up there. (sp?) And it's a really cool place, and I talk to a lot of the kids who stay there now already. I'm really looking forward to it. I want to spend a lot of time in the American Indian floor of that one hall.. I forget what it's called right now. It's right by The Trillium, they were doing a TON of construction there last time I was up there.

Hehe. I actually think they were renovating a library.. Hahaha.

Profile E-mail