Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 44  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:27 pm 
Paid Some Dues

there's none of that whole i'm hardcore so im gonna slit my throat and wear a bandanna

way to streyo type budy
i murdered the spelling on that one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:14 pm 
Paid Some Dues

well i don't you about your experience with "hardcore" kids but every one i know is like that, they are all suicidal, the music kinda shows it, and they wear bandannas which makes sense if you in a pit outside and its all dusty, but when your at a indoor show or not even at a show it makes no sense to wear a bandanna.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:13 pm 
Paid Some Dues

they are all suicidal are you kidding me??
and the music shows it???? lets hear this suicidal hardcore band?
how in the world would hardcore music show being suicidal...
maybe if you have some wild view of what hardcore is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:43 pm 
Paid Some Dues

zman wrote:
zane wrote:
I think i was in that skank pit! That was a great show even though it was pretty empty.

Seriously?!?

I know this is old but i was there
was that 2 summers ago?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:15 pm 
Rude & Reckless

i wear a bandanna. thats cuz im badass.

yeah badass like rambo for sega dreamcast

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:43 pm 
Show Regular

Badass and Sega Dreamcast do not belong in the same sentence...ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:59 pm 
Scene Diety

Karenjacktastic wrote:
Badass and Sega Dreamcast do not belong in the same sentence...ever.

get out of the intarweb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:17 pm 
Rude & Reckless

booo im still a dreamcast believer

and a sega saturn believer

Post subject: Re: Introductions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:12 pm 
Paid Some Dues

skadanny wrote:
Let's get everyone to start by introducing yourself.

1) Your name, where you live, some general stuff like that.
2) How did you get into ska?
3) What are some of your favorite ska bands?
4) What do you like about the ska scene?
5) What are some of your favorite moments from shows?

1. The name: Beth. 16. I hail from a place called manlius. I like people who give me rides to shows.
2. alex w of magic goat told me he was in a band. i didn't believe him, so i went to the ska show. he wasn't lying. turned out he was actually in a good band. and ska was awesome. so i kept going to the ska shows after finding syracuseska.com through mg's website.
3. planet smashers, razsumthing, tristate conspiracy, bosstones, and more. i'm still being slowly introduced to the world of ska.
4. the people are awesome and you can't be in a bad mood when it comes to the music you're surrounded with.
5. hmms....skalloween '05. major domino effect and i got to watch everyone go down on the ground, bracing myself to not be tugged down too. skanking overload.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:36 pm 
Rude & Reckless

1) Adam (argyle) - north syracuse - 20 years old - singer and guitar player for marty!
2) the summer of ska... back in 96 when all i heard was reel big fish, then one of my sister's friends was in a band, i went ot the show, and was hooked.
3) Reel Big Fish, Less than Jake, Hepcat, the Toasters, and for locals, Skatos and RazSum
4) it always been friendly
5) i don't know, probably when i went to help out my sister's friends (3 inches of glory) only to realize they were playing with the know how and the planet smashers... it was just that cool

Post subject: dance or go home
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:18 am 
Rude & Reckless

I'm usually called Katie, Bird or Yates. I live in cicero. i go to mph for the school business. i always come home from ska shows with injuries, haha. i love spreading the word about ska shows. it surprises me how close-minded people can be. :cry: i also make films so you'll tately see me without a camera attached to my hand.

How did you get into ska?
my friend trevor burnt me some cds of the aquabats, catch 22, and the alike. i really liked the music and he recommended i go to some local shows. i really enjoy the shows better than any other kind of concert. they're more lively, fun and friendly. plus, i really love supporting local venues and bands.

What are some of your favorite ska bands?
the local bands are really great. but otherwise i like catch 22, the mighty mighty bosstones, mustard plug, aquabats, reel big fish... etc. i think when it comes to more well known bands i'm just skimming the surface. i'm always hungry for new music and suggestions would be much obliged :lol:

What do you like about the ska scene?
its very attractive. ska in general is a great music and the scene isnt violent whatsoever. the local scene is just fantastic. gives all people the chance to play music, hear music, meet people, have fun. the entire scene is just one brilliant idea.

What are some of your favorite moments from shows?
ah, skanking. once i skanked so much my face went numb. its really neat because you get the energy from the band and the energy from everyone else. you can take cues from people you don't even know. its something about everyone in a room collectively having the same goal. like, if there is just one giant circle and everyone was dancing regardless of all else except for the shared interest of ska. that's just awesome.
also, meeting people. im pretty anti social :( , so this really helps!

that's about it, i guess.

Last edited by katie_bird on Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: dance or go home
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:51 am 
Syracuse Ska

katie_bird wrote:
I'm usually called Katie, Bird or Yates. I live in cicero. i go to mph for the school business.

Ah! We've always had good luck with MPH. I had just assumed you were at C-NS. Thanks for clearing that up.

katie_bird wrote:
the local scene is just fantastic. gives all people the chance to play music, hear music, meet people, have fun. the entire scene is just one brilliant idea.

This is generally how ska has always worked. The first ska "scene" was Kingston, Jamaica and the music rapidly brought people together dancing to it from a wide variety of racial and class backgrounds. It broke down social barriers. And of course 2-tone in England pushed the idea further with a deliberate appeal for racial equality and harmony (black & white entertwined and equal = black & white checks) with "2-tone" (multi-racial) bands performing when that clearly wasn't yet acceptable in that society yet.

I'm glad we still exhibit enough of those characteristics to be noticeable. I dare say you "get" it. :D

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:16 pm 
Ruder Than You

I'm Roxanne (So named for the rocks in my head). I live in Jamesville, which is at least a 15 minute drive from everything. Mostly, though, I live at MPH, because the musical is eating my soul. (And probably my limbs) Hence the non-attendance of ska shows of late. :cry: I write loads, and love music. I'm really interested in music journalism, and I'm working on the first issue of a zine.

You can blame my love of ska entirely on my good friend Trevor. Over the summer, he burnt me dozens of ska cds, and it was like Christmas every time he came to my house. He still is burning me ska cds, as a matter of fact. I went to my first ska show this summer also, and, as if it wasn't already love at first note, the show made me appreciate it even more.

Off the top of my head, I love the Toasters, Tri-State Conspiracy, The Know How, The Planet Smashers, The Aquabats, Save Ferris, Catch 22 and Streetlight Manifesto. (It of course doesn't stop there)

I don't tend to like using the word "scene." It tends to connote a lack of individualism, and a mob-mentality type of thing. But the ska scene is completely different. Anyone can feel at home listening to ska, and the scene is just as accepting. It finds the perfect balance between unity and being yourself. It's also so rich in history, and it represents a lot of stuff I advocate. (We've started a Human Rights Club at MPH, and we use checkers all the time in discussion and posters.) Ska doesn't discriminate.

Although you don't ever need an excuse to skank barefoot, when my shoes fall off at shows, it's just another reason to. Being in the circle, hearing nothing but the music, and seeing your friends and even strangers skanking all around you fills you with a pretty awesome feeling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:40 am 
Ska Queen

Rocks wrote:
I'm Roxanne (So named for the rocks in my head). I live in Jamesville, which is at least a 15 minute drive from everything. Mostly, though, I live at MPH, because the musical is eating my soul. (And probably my limbs) Hence the non-attendance of ska shows of late. :cry: I write loads, and love music. I'm really interested in music journalism, and I'm working on the first issue of a zine.

You can blame my love of ska entirely on my good friend Trevor. Over the summer, he burnt me dozens of ska cds, and it was like Christmas every time he came to my house. He still is burning me ska cds, as a matter of fact. I went to my first ska show this summer also, and, as if it wasn't already love at first note, the show made me appreciate it even more.

Off the top of my head, I love the Toasters, Tri-State Conspiracy, The Know How, The Planet Smashers, The Aquabats, Save Ferris, Catch 22 and Streetlight Manifesto. (It of course doesn't stop there)

I don't tend to like using the word "scene." It tends to connote a lack of individualism, and a mob-mentality type of thing. But the ska scene is completely different. Anyone can feel at home listening to ska, and the scene is just as accepting. It finds the perfect balance between unity and being yourself. It's also so rich in history, and it represents a lot of stuff I advocate. (We've started a Human Rights Club at MPH, and we use checkers all the time in discussion and posters.) Ska doesn't discriminate.

Although you don't ever need an excuse to skank barefoot, when my shoes fall off at shows, it's just another reason to. Being in the circle, hearing nothing but the music, and seeing your friends and even strangers skanking all around you fills you with a pretty awesome feeling.

You.
I like you.
You're my kind of person.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:42 pm 
Ruder Than You

Suh-weet. Thanks.
:D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 44  Next