Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 44  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:52 pm 
Ruder Than You

1)Zane from rochester i sing in the levar burtones
2)my brother
3)the mephiskapheles,the strangeways,king apparatus,the chinkees,the planet smashers, the pietasters,skankin' pickle,the slackers,the hippos(before they got synth heavy)
4)dont know to much about syracuse but most ska scenes are full of good people
5)the planet smashers playing mission aborted at ska is dead 1 and meeting gerry lundquist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:02 pm 
Ska Queen

Hahahahahahahahaha! I love you guys! I don't even know Ithaca Danny or Steven Parker, but I've decided that I would most probably get along with you grandly if I ever get around to meeting you at a gig sometime. I'll be the girl taking over the door when Johanna leaves for college. :D

Man, reading all that stuff about skanking. That was funny as all get out. Holy crap, I laughed sooooooooo hard.

Wow. I love ska people.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:27 pm 
Checkered Demon

haha, um, so, if we need to differentiate between me and skadanny, can i not be "Ithaca" Danny? I'd prefer "NYC" because that's where I'm really from, or something else...just not "Ithaca" :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:33 pm 
Ska Queen

Hehe, NYC Danny works. Or we can just call you Danny and then have SkaDanny. How about that?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:54 am 
Paid Some Dues

so i'm definately really late on this but i figured if anybody still checked this thread it would be better to introduce myself here than posting elsewhere and have everybody wondering who the hell i was
so anyways:
1) I'm Andrew, I live in Liverpool right by Trevor, and I try to play trumpet and stuff
2) some cd's and songs from friends, Mustard Plug and Big D at 505 secured it for me
3) Streetlight, Madness, Big D, WBT, Toasters, I Voted for Kodos
4) the music, everyone is easy to get along with and not generally too judgemental
5) getting to talk to some of my heroes at the Westcott, shows at 505, having Big D take requests and actually play some of them

yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:22 am 
Paid Some Dues

1) My name's Nate Brzostek, I live in Liverpool, just outside of Syracuse, I've been attempting to gather a ska band and I play guitar but also willing to play bass.
2) My older brothers got me into ska over 5 years ago, my oldest brother was a big fan of Operation Ivy, Ln Reel Big Fish, Streeess Than Jake, and Reel Big Fish.
3) Some of my favorite ska bands have beetlight Manifesto, The Might Mighty Bosstones, Big D and the Kids Table, Catch 22, I Voted for Kodos, Skatos, Mad Caddies... just to name a few.
4) I like that it's very welcoming and simply fun!
5) Haven't been to many shows yet, so I don't really have a certain favorite moment. I just love skanking and meeting the band members.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:23 am 
Scene Diety

^nate will forever be known as "checker kid" because he wore all checkers to school one day

sorry nate, but it was lame

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:28 pm 
Ruder Than You

TrevoRoverT wrote:
^nate will forever be known as "checker kid" because he wore all checkers to school one day

sorry nate, but it was lame

thats HardXE to the maxXx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:47 pm 
Magic Goat

1) "Action" Alex Karas, Live in Buffalo NY, I play base for magic goat, i'm 6'5" and I hug trees
2) Went to Skaloween 2003, saw Skatos, never looked back
3) Skatos, Skarmy, RazSum, Catch 22, Big D, Benefits, Westbound Train, Toasters,
4) Music is great, people are diverse, and most are very welcoming. Also ya can dance to it!
5) Rocking out at the Annex, School talent show scandal, JCC battle of the bands, Learning how to dance at the Salt City Center, Ska is Dead I

Last edited by Alex on Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I <3 you Syracuse
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:31 pm 
New Kid

1) Heather. From Milford, NY. Senior at SU. Part-time animator/superhero.

2) Got into ska through old No Doubt and Sublime, went to my first ska show in 1999 to see Pilfers at Valentine's in Albany <3 <3 <3.

3) Pilfers. Big D. No Doubt. Spring Heeled Jack. Metro Stylee. DHC. Suicide Machines. Madness. Save Ferris. Elvis Costello. Doris Day. The Shirelles (shut up, so what if they're not ska bands).

4) I love the scene for giving me a chance to finally sing for a band. The kids are really supportive and I can't wait to start back up, even if it is for only another year.

5) The first Benefits show with the Know How (even if we DID hardcore suck...). Getting in free to the Streetlight Manifesto-Big D show last year in Albany because Dave from Big D put me VIP (heeell yeah). When we got a SLOW CLAP at our final show (I have wanted one all of my life, my friends).

I <3 you Syracuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:24 pm 
Paid Some Dues

1) My name is Logan, I live in Valatie NY, and I attend Ichabod Crane High School!
2) Good question...hmm, one of my friends told me to pick up a less than jake cd, and I picked up Pezcore (my first ska cd ever) and I never looked back.
3) Mephiskapheles, The Chinkees, Leftover Crack, Skatalites, The Slackers, Hub City Stompers, Hepcat, MU330, Voodoo Glow Skulls, The Locust...the list goes on..
4) The unity, the dancing, the great people, and the SKA!
5) Umm...just getting to see the first NYC ska fest, and afterwards falling asleep in penn. station at 4 in the morning. That show was great, I got to see Hub City Stompers, and the great Rudie Crew.

Love,

Logan*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:42 am 
Show Regular

loganv wrote:
show was great, I got to see Hub City Stompers.

HCS are amazing. I saw them at the Too Short Notice CD release party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:10 am 
New Kid

1) My name is Stephanie.. I'm 20, and I live in Cortland. Woo.

2) Probably from my best friend from High school. She left her cds at my house one day and I raided them.. and was hooked.

3) Catch 22, Big D and the kids table, The Specials, Save Ferris, RBF.. It's so hard to narrow down favorites.

4) I like how no one tries too hard.. and how everyone's just out to have a good time.

5) Oh, Fredonia.. Well, the band that I manage ( Endive ) got completely dicked over after winning a battle of the bands at the college. They were basically denied the prize which was to open for the headlining bands at Fred fest.. So, they sucked it up and went on with the show.. but at around 2 in the morning.. when everyone was so drunk.. they set up their stuff and played a "guerilla" show on some kids porch at the townhouses. They even got through a good 7 songs before the cops showed up! It was a combination of the best.. and the worst show that they have ever put on.. cause even though it sounded like crap ( only one guitar.. a fill in drummer.. anthony on bass.. not hearing jami sing at all ) everyone was just having the best time! No one cared!

Wow. That was a long story. Sorry about that. Haha.

Post subject: Re: I <3 you Syracuse
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:10 am 
Checkered Demon

TheBenefits<3 wrote:

5) The first Benefits show with the Know How (even if we DID hardcore suck...). Getting in free to the Streetlight Manifesto-Big D show last year in Albany because Dave from Big D put me VIP (heeell yeah).

Um, I was at the show with The Know How and you most definitely did not suck. I was quite impressed.

And the Albany show is the only one within a 3 or 4 hour radius of NYC on that tour that I missed...Oh well...my mother's birthday was more important

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:06 am 
Upstate NY Reggae

I'm Ras Adam Simeon born in Rochester in 1968
lived in syracuse, Albuquerque and New Orleans.

Got into ska via the creation of MTV w/ madness, specials, fishbone, the untouchables back in early eighties. then early nineties euro ska bands.

My fave ska is clasic jamaican ska. I like some
US bands Bim Skala Bim are good friends. I dont like
punk or heavy metal in the ska i listen to.

I like that ska is still going in 2005. Its nice to drive by WCC and see lots of kids turn out for shows.

My fave moment was when a friend booked laurel Aitkin, Bad manners and Bim at a local Elks Lodge on e fayette st. i saw the original toasters a few times when they were actually fronted by (unity 2) two toasters. saw desmond dekker in providence on his fist us tour. the late jutin hinds in binghamton. skataltes w/ roland and tommy and many more great shows.

currently all about the reggae, but still like to keep an ear out for decent ska. ras a

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 44  Next