Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:54 pm 
Paid Some Dues

1) Bob from Camillus. I guess I'm a musician.
2) Some guy named Ronny asked me to join a band in 1999.
3) The Hotknives, The Specials, Hepcat, The Slackers, The Toasters, The Pilfers.
4) Remembering the scene when i first started.
5) Playing at Short Round's last show, playing the first ever Experiments in Ska show, Skalloween V, The Pietasters in Ithaca. Anyone out there remember besides Danny?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:04 pm 
Paid Some Dues

Mike wrote:
4) There are a lot of things I hate about the ska scene, including the dumb, misinformed people it brings in, but at the same time I like a lot of the intelligent people I met and continue to talk to.

You read my mind. Oh and we're the LeVar BurTones now, don't play dumb, you can't fool me!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:45 pm 
New Kid

well, my name is marcus. i'm 30, and i've been at this for a long time
i went down to DC to visit a friend and saw the pietaster/ the skunks/ and the smooths, and damn it! i've never looked back.
lately, i've been listening to alot of "No. 1 Station", "Pama Inter.", and "the Starlites." of course, there's never been a better band than "the Allstonians."
My favorite show memory would have to be from the haunt, about ten years ago. i gave roland alfonso a little debbie cake and showed him to the mens' room....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:14 am 
Paid Some Dues

1) Vinnie, i live in Buffalo during the school year and Syracuse during the summer.
2) I got into "ska" when Mike Larkin asked me if i wanted to be in Razsum. Although since then i've discovered the many variations on the ska genre.
3) The Toasters, The Pietasters, Goldfinger (before they kicked the horns out), RBF, Streetlight Manifesto, Go Jimmy Go, The Planet Smashers
4) I like the syracuse ska scene because in the past few years i've been a part of it, i've been able to see a huge increase in interest in it. We see more and more people coming out to shows and more bands being formed to play.
5) The Planet Smashers at Wa-Noa: a great turnout on a monday night at a golf course
Ska Weekend 2005: Playing the main stage was pretty cool :)
Fredfest 2002 (maybe it was 01): sharing the stage with Alkaline Trio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:24 pm 
Paid Some Dues

1) I'm Mel, Melissa...whatever. I'm from Cortland and I'm 22
2) My sister..most definately
3) Reel Big Fish, I Voted For Kodos, The Arrogant Sons of Bitches, Bomb The Music Industry!, Streetlight Manifesto, Big D and the Kids Table, Go Jimmy Go, The Debonaires
4) A bunch of chill people just looking to have a good time
5) I think Ska Weekend takes the cake

Post subject: Re: Introductions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:37 pm 
Checkered Demon

skadanny wrote:
Let's get everyone to start by introducing yourself.

1) Your name, where you live, some general stuff like that.
2) How did you get into ska?
3) What are some of your favorite ska bands?
4) What do you like about the ska scene?
5) What are some of your favorite moments from shows?

1) Danny. I'm from Queens in NYC, but I got to Cornell in Ithaca. I'll be 20 on Sunday.
2) Um, this is a hard question to answer. I don't really know how i got into ska. I mean, I always loved the Bosstones and Sublime...and there's always No Doubt, but what can we say? We don't really like No Doubt...

it kind of just grew from there I guess. I got into A New Found Glory a while before they toured with LTJ. I had listened to LTJ but never excessively. I bought a few of their albums and fell in love and that's really when I started getting to know what ska was.

Back when I started listening to the Bosstones, Sublime, and No Doubt I didn't know what I was listening to, I just knew I liked it...
3) Streetlight Manifesto/BOTAR and The Arrogant Sons of Bitches/Bomb the Music Industry! are my favorites, but i love everything from the skatalites to daly's gone wrong.
4) Some of my best friends are people who i've met through the music scene.
5) Oh man, I'm not even sure where to start with this. I think one of my fondest "music" related memories at a show was being at the show the first time Streetlight ever did Dear Sergio: It was just an incredible experience, but I guess goes the same for being at the show the first time Streetlight did The Provide The Paint... and Hey Ska! Another one of my favorite memories was seeing Less Than Jake in Rochester last year and having them play "Anchor" for me (like, they played it because I asked Chris to and they sent it out to me and stuff. it was good times).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:46 pm 
Show Regular

AskTheMagic8Ball wrote:
and there's always No Doubt, but what can we say? We don't really like No Doubt...

Quoted.

Never thought I'd see the day you'd quote Reel Big Fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:29 am 
Where Am I???

1.) My name's PJ. I like in NH but I go to school in at good ol' RIT. I'm 21.
2.) One of my friend's played some RBF for me and I fell in love.
3.) The Slackers, The Planet Smashers, RBF, Streetlight Manifesto and many more
4.) I love how the scene is so friendly. Most of the kids there want to have a great time and dance their hearts out and nothing is better than a night full of skanking.
5.) Last time the Slackers were up in buffalo some friends and I danced our little hearts out. It wasn't even skanking really, but danced we did and it was grand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:00 am 
Syracuse Ska

PJ wrote:
1.) My name's PJ.

5.) Last time the Slackers were up in buffalo some friends and I danced our little hearts out. It wasn't even skanking really, but danced we did and it was grand.

I may get some strong surprise at this comment, but in my view, if you danced to ska music, you skanked. There have been so many ways of skanking over time, I fail to see how one way is necessarily more correct than another.

But I WILL argue it needs to be in time with the music, have some style to it whenever possible and demonstrate enthusiasm. But I argue after that, almost anything is game. :D

"Doing The Ska", "Nutty Boy Dance", 3rd wave skanking (sorry, dunno what else to call it) and skank circles don't look much alike. And I fail to see how anyone can argue that one is "correct" skanking and another is not.

Of course, your mileage may vary ... :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:18 am 
Checkered Demon

skadanny wrote:
I fail to see how anyone can argue that one is "correct" skanking and another is not.

I love reading things you have to say, Danny, because it's like reading things I would say. Whenever I read threads on different message boards or communities that are basically "How do you skank?" or "Teach me how to skank?" or something like that, I always laugh and tell them if they need to think about it, they're doing it wrong...

Dance to the music, have fun, don't interfere with other people having fun, and you're doing it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:36 am 
585 Ska

AskTheMagic8Ball wrote:
skadanny wrote:
I fail to see how anyone can argue that one is "correct" skanking and another is not.

I love reading things you have to say, Danny, because it's like reading things I would say. Whenever I read threads on different message boards or communities that are basically "How do you skank?" or "Teach me how to skank?" or something like that, I always laugh and tell them if they need to think about it, they're doing it wrong...

Dance to the music, have fun, don't interfere with other people having fun, and you're doing it right.

I think there is a correct way to skank. I mean, yea, there is diferent styles and you can add your own influence to it, but you can't just fall to the floor and flop to the beat.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:04 pm 
Checkered Demon

tell me it wouldn't awesome if someone did...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:39 pm 
Scene Diety

1) Trevor Clement, Liverpool, i play guitar in a syracuse hardcore band called World of Difference.. i almost started a ska band once. we wrote one song about homeless people, but it all fell apart
2) friends got me into it and just checking out random music
3)Streetlight Manifesto, Suicide Machines, Big D, The Benefits
4) No one throws punches
5) When big d played here last november, they opened up with LAX and it was the greatest thing that ever happened.... until they closed with Checklist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:22 pm 
Show Regular

Quote:
I think there is a correct way to skank. I mean, yea, there is diferent styles and you can add your own influence to it, but you can't just fall to the floor and flop to the beat.

OR...

Falling to your knees, playing furious air guitar, then all of sudden pulling off, not one, but TWO blackflips!

No, I will never... EVER... forget about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:10 am 
Syracuse Ska

STEVEN PARKER wrote:
Quote:

OR...

Falling to your knees, playing furious air guitar, then all of sudden pulling off, not one, but TWO blackflips!

No, I will never... EVER... forget about that.

Too bad ya didn't have a camera. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next