Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introductions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:43 pm 
The Gnarwhals

reelbignick69 wrote:
4) What do you like about the ska scene?
Dancing and hot girls.

Hot girls dancing?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:37 pm 
585 Ska

Hopefully he is under 18 cause all the girls that go to ska shows are about fourteen. Which is why it is awesome to be a creeper like me.

THIRTEEN IS TOO OLD!

Well, I'm sure that a savior's born every fucking day
But they learn not to care before anything is saved

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:38 pm 
The Gnarwhals

yeah, he's younger than me and I feel like i'm on the edge of being a creep.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:11 pm 
585 Ska

Give in. It is sooooooo much fun.

Well, I'm sure that a savior's born every fucking day
But they learn not to care before anything is saved

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:47 am 
New Kid

1) Your name, where you live, some general stuff like that.

I'm Mike, I'm from Baldwinsville, I'm a college freshman. I play bass and stand in the back for 4 point 0.

Hi!

2) How did you get into ska?

Friend of a friend spent an hour going through his iTunes library for me, gave me a ska sampler kind of deal. I was impressed by how fun the music could be. I've been playing catch-up on the genre ever since.

3) What are some of your favorite ska bands?

At the moment, I'm answering this with Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, Streetlight, and We Are The Union, but that's subject to change. I'm easily satisfied though, there are about thirty bands on the periphery of this list.

4) What do you like about the ska scene?

Most of my exposure to it being such a late-comer has been shows with my band, and it's been consistently awesome for me. The only thing I don't like would be the lack of size, the more crowded the room seems the better!

5) What are some of your favorite moments from shows?

Seeing Stuck Lucky and Fatter Than Albert last summer at the Westcott blew my mind, and 4 point 0 has given me tons of great times. Also, playing with a couple bands multiple times and watching them grow is a great experience.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:32 pm 
Show Regular

It's been a while, Im going to do this again...

1) Allison(Wonderland), currently residing in Syracuse NY, but have lived in Livingston Manor NY and Rockaway NJ previously... <3 NJSka.
2) I remember listening to the Bosstones, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Reel Big Fish, Save Ferris and some other randoms when I was younger, never knowing that it was a genre that I should be looking into. Sophomore year of college, hello Nathaniel Dean, introduced me to Syracuse Ska and much more music that I fell in love with.
3) Still in love with the above mentioned... but to include RazSum (<3 haha), The Flaming Tsunamis, The Specials, Awful Waffle <3, Westbound Train, Big D, Less Than Jake, Planet Smashers, Patent Pending, Mustard Plug, We are the Union.
4) Instead of writing what I like, I want to write what I miss... since I havent been around to a lot of ska shows as of late... I miss going and just dancing my ass off, I miss knowing that I can walk into a show alone and come out with a few friends, I miss happy music that can wipe away my emo kid blues... I really miss the people that I used to see at every show, and even though we didnt really hang out outside of the shows I still considered them really good friends... because we always got eachothers backs :-)
5) Ummm, Johnny Tsunami crushing me @ WCC?
J.Lo vs. Johnny vs. Ska Danny. (same night, but still awesome)
Starland Summer Campout '07.
NjSka, Too Short Notice Reunion. Josh Ecochard.
Red Cross Robbery @ Big Orange Bonanza! Blood. Everywhere.

*AllisonWonderland*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:05 pm 
New Kid

1) Alright, I'm Emma. I'm 19. I am currently living in Toronto (going to school), but I was born and bred in Buffalo
2) I guess I have to thank Goldfinger and Cherry Bing for getting me into Ska. I started listening to Goldfinger in 8th grade because a friend got me into them, but then I kinda forgot about them. Then I started going to local shows and Cherry Bing always played and I pretty much loved them and still do (excluding Shaant, obviously).
3) This is a tuffy. OK uhh at this moment? Well.... Aggro, BTMI, Planet Smashers, Aquabats, ASOB, Ill Scarlett, Big D, The Flatliners, and Old No Doubt... for starters.
4) I liked (I am using past tense due to the fact that the Buffalo scene is almost non-existant at this point) that we were all friends. That we would go to shows all hang out and then go to Mighty. It was a pretty amazing time there for a while. I am currently hoping for a ska revival.
5) Hmm I guess ones of my favorites was at the Planet Smashers like 3 years ago in Toronto. I was the most amazing circle I have ever been in. There was no pushing or anything everyone was just totally chill and doing there own thing and it f*ck rocked.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:22 am 
Syracuse Ska

Bleachmyhairblonde wrote:
1) Alright, I'm Emma. I'm 19. I am currently living in Toronto (going to school), but I was born and bred in Buffalo.

And it might also be worth mentioning that you're the lead singer of Charles Wants to Kiss You Goodbye. Thanks again for a kickass set last Saturday night at Funk'n Waffles. :thumbup:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:32 pm 
New Kid

Ya that is kinda key... oops... thanks for having my back and posting ridiculous picture of me! haha

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:02 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Bleachmyhairblonde wrote:
Ya that is kinda key... oops... thanks for having my back and posting ridiculous picture of me! haha

Haha ... you like this one better? 8)

Either way, they show the personality of the band pretty accurately.

BTW, I stand by what I said that you should team up with Matt Wixson and maybe even Matt Turner of Paranoia Dance Party! -- the disco ska-core band from St Petersburg FL that will probably be touring through Upstate NY this summer. The latter comes highly recommended by Taj Motel Trio. :thumbup:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:38 am 
New Kid

that would be extreme sick man o man i wish!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:07 am 
Paid Some Dues

I'm Jay, I used to play guitar in Public Access. I changed my username, so I suppose I should re-introduce myself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:46 am 
Where Am I???

1) Sean, UK, play in Pama Intl
2) Grew up listening to 2 Tone, bit young for it, but got to see Madness 1984
3) Still love the 2 Tone thing. Old school JA stuff. Loved The Untouchables when they came out and the 3rd wave US bands like Bim Skala Bim, Fishbone, Stubborn All-stars.
4) It never dies off. There's always been surges of popularity all round the world, and bleaker times, but regardless of that the scene seems to live through it all
5) Fishbone @ The Astoria in London early 90s was insane. Madness 1985 Brixton Academy (one of the first shows I went to was amazing)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:54 am 
Syracuse Ska

jamdown wrote:
1) Sean, UK, play in Pama Intl

That's an awesome band you've got there. Any chance we might see them play over on this side of the pond?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:57 pm 
New Kid

Hey I'm Jacob and from Connecticut. I used to be in a band called the Skalliwags, but now we're called Knightsbridge Fiasco. I post CTska. My favorite band is probably the Decemberists, followed closely by The Cat Empire.

I used to have a checkerboard mohawk, but then I realized ska sucks.

The end, thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next