Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introductions
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:53 pm 
Paid Some Dues

jlosowski wrote:
Uh oh, is that a challenge? :shock:

I gonna play a game with you... :twisted:

Just fooling around. Check out my thread about european ska bands.
I'm happy about every little band i can listen to and it's quite nice to find something new in this genre.
There are still a lot of bands in NY, but does any band sing in german or french there?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:56 pm 
Syracuse Ska

steamx wrote:
There are still a lot of bands in NY, but does any band sing in german or french there?

In New York? That would be highly surprising. There are not enough French or German speakers for that to make any sense. Not in New York, not in any American state. But there are a LOT of American ska bands singing in Spanish, including at least one in New York: The Ladrones. Spanish is by far the second language of America.

Now you go up into the province of Quebec, Canada and most of the ska bands are singing in French, as that is the predominant language in the province. And there is a big ska scene in Mexico where almost all the bands sing in Spanish exclusively. Most American ska bands singing in Spanish are Mexican-American and increasingly, ska bands from Mexico are playing in America, most notably in Los Angeles. All styles of ska. And I know Panteón Rococó from Mexico City has toured Germany extensively.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:04 pm 
Where Am I???

1. Vladimir, Serbia ... 23 years...student...drinker
2. first thing I heard is band from my country called "Samostalni referenti", great 2 tone...
3. The specials,the madness,prince buster,voodoo glow skulls....
4. upbeat!!!!
5. Exit festival!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:37 am 
Paid Some Dues

1.) The name's Gabriel, I'm 24 soon to be 25, from Orange County, NY
2.) At the end of a parade I was marching in with marching band in high school my friends Jaclyn and Brendan asked me to play trumpet in their ska band (Outside-In)
3.) The Toasters, The Planet Smashers, The Specials, Less Than Jake, older Hippos, The RX Bandits, The Aquabats, The Suicide Machines, etc. etc. I know some of the bands are more so Punk bands but when they play ska it's A-OK ;o)
4.) The energy at a really great ska show is so far the best feeling in the world to me. The feeling for me is almost indescribable. The closest I could say would have to be like someone wrapping a warm towel around your whole body after coming inside from a freezing cold blizzard.
5.) Favorite moment? It's hard to say, there've been so many great moments for me. I think one of my favorite shows was the one I played with my old band The Naked Citizens at the Big Top in New Orleans. The Big Orange in 2006 was also a good time. It was before a lot of my favorite local punk/ska bands all disbanded or turned into something else. There was Public Access, Razsum, Bomb the Music Industry, High School Football Heroes, The Step Right Ups, The Superspecs, The Know How, Daly's Gone Wrong, Westbound Train, The Menzingers, and lots others I'm forgetting haha.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:44 am 
Syracuse Ska

The Closers wrote:
The name's Gabriel, I'm 24 soon to be 25, from Orange County, NY

Wow Gabe -- it's been a very long time! How you been?

You and I have a lot of mutual history. Like I'll never forget that bizarre show in Watertown NY. :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:49 am 
Paid Some Dues

It has been quite some time hasn't it. I don't really remember the last time I saw you. Yeah, I don't think I'll forget that show. haha

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:33 pm 
New Kid

1) RJ. Tallahassee, Florida. I used to play drums for a ska/punk band named Call For Fire but now I am in a new band called Chilled Monkey Brains (http://www.myspace.com/chilledmonkeybrainsfla) and I teach at a high school. I love Greek food.
2) Seeing the Mighty Mighty Bosstones in 93 did me in. I had to go back and listen to everything from Toots & Prince Buster to AAA and Johnny Socko.
3) Fatter Than Albert, Flaming Tsunamis, Stuck Lucky, Cerephesis, Brunt Of It, A Billion Ernies, Selector, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, VGS, Folly, Dan P, Mu330, Johnny Socko, Undercover Ska, Scofflaws, Diversity Is An Old Wooden Ship, This Is A Stick Up, I could go on forever. Pretty much any new bands that are worth a damn.
4) The new band I formed included guys from a punk band. They were really suprised and envigorated by the friendship and cooperation I share with all the ska bands I've worked with. That makes me feel great, that we are in essence our own "click" of people that are supportive and encouraging.
5) All moments from shows

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:01 pm 
Where Am I???

1. Andy, Liverpool, NY, 18, going to RIT next year for industrial and system engineering
2. 2 summers ago the kids i used to always skate with loved ska so they gave me some CD and ive been in love ever since
3. The Toasters, Razbari Sumthin, Public Access, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Less Than Jake
4. I have been absent from the seen since i first fell in love that makes me sad :cry: but everyone i do know from the seen is super dedicated and i LOVE that!
5. I love that The Toasters, Raz Sum, and Public Access all played at my first show ever!

The reason I joined this forum was because I just met this guy at work (I work at Hot Topic) that works for Kingston Beat and we had a discussion about how beast ska is and I asked him if he knew where I could find some Raz Sum cuz i had lost all of my music in the process of changing computers. He told me to come and here and ask for some assistance so first thing I did after coming home was come here! Sooooo... can anyone help me score some Raz Sum CDs? It would be greatly appreciated! <3 Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:10 pm 
New Kid

1) Your name, where you live, some general stuff like that.
Nicholas is the name, and I play in a Ska/Rock band from the MS Gulf Coast, one of the only ones down here as we come from the land of 3 Doors Down and other generic radio rock bands.

2) How did you get into ska?
Started playing trumpet and guitar in high school and was actually a fan of my own band and went to their shows. They were pop-punk back then, and needed a guitar player when a female (it's always a female) led to the leaving of their guitar player. They let me join based on the condition I incorporated my trumpet into their music as always had been interested. The ska/reggae/rock StereoHype was born.

3) What are some of your favorite ska bands?
Reel Big Fish, Mad Caddies, Goldfinger, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Mustard Plug (Loved playing with them and the Voodoo Glow Skulls), Supervillains, etc.

4) What do you like about the ska scene?
Everyone seems so unified and wanting to help others out, it's a community, and it's happy music, lifts the mood.

5) What are some of your favorite moments from shows?
Good god ever since I first took the stage to my favorite show where we played to over 10,000 people, I love every moment at a ska show.

http://www.myspace.com/stereohype is the band, and we're looking to come thru NY on tour this May, which is why I'm here!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:20 am 
New Kid

What up Nick? Can't wait for Block Party!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:36 am 
New Kid

1) We're The Closers from Orange County, NY. (Well, our trombone player goes to school in Albany, but everyone else lives around there.)

2) I dunno, actually. A lot of us really got into ska because of The Naked Citizens. But, Gabe was in The Naked Citizens, so I don't really know.

3) Streetlight Manifesto, Catch 22, Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, Goldfinger, Buck-O-Nine, Big D and the Kid's Table, The Specials, Tri-State Conspiaracy, Sublime, Razbari Sumthing, The Naked Citizens, The Step Right Ups, The Selecter, Hollywood Funeral, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Fishbone, The Aquabats, Lemon Lime Tennis Shows, Fatter Than Albert, Samuri Deli, Skawaiian Punch, Magic Goat, Bob Marley, and many more.

4) The people!

5) All of them. It's so much fun to play shows, especially when the crowd gets into it and dances and sings and all that jazz.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:36 am 
New Kid

Hi everyone :)

My names Paul and i'm in Oxford in the UK, i grew up in the Whitley suburb of Coventry in the late to mid 80's when the Specials were at their high. The reason i am joining is detailed in this new topic i am sadly about to create...

Ta,

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5148

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:06 pm 
Paid Some Dues

Hey! My name's Justine. I'm originally from Syracuse NY but currently living in Chicago IL. Way back in the day my username on here was "Aiyana Catori" but I couldn't remember the password and the email address I used for it back then is no longer active, so I've got a new account! At any rate, I'll be visiting Syracuse in July so I thought I'd swing by the 'ole forum and see what's up. How's everyone doing?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:50 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Justine wrote:
Hey! My name's Justine. I'm originally from Syracuse NY but currently living in Chicago IL. Way back in the day my username on here was "Aiyana Catori" but I couldn't remember the password and the email address I used for it back then is no longer active, so I've got a new account! At any rate, I'll be visiting Syracuse in July so I thought I'd swing by the 'ole forum and see what's up. How's everyone doing?

Hey Justine!!!

Long time no hear. Chicago is an awesome city and I trust you're enjoying yourself there.

Some very cool shows coming up in July, so hopefully we'll see you at some. :thumbup:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:53 am 
Where Am I???

hey every body :)[img]

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next