Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:11 pm 
Kingston Beat

Emo is a genre that people pretend to understand. Emo is not pop-punk. Pop-punk is not emo.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:37 pm 
585 Ska

Most of what people understand as emo now isn't even true emo.

Edit: Everyone should check out Emocapella.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:37 pm 
Show Regular

I like emo, but I'd imagine that my definition of the genre differs greatly from yours.

Emo bands I like:

Off Minor
Saetia
The Khayembii Communique
Usurp Synapse
Hassan I Sabbah
Circle Takes The Square
You and I
The Assistant
Shikari
Takaru
PAGENINETYNINE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:36 pm 
Paid Some Dues

pete wrote:
unless im mistaken, emo stands for emotional, or emotional rock. well technically, doesnt all music show some kind of emotion, be it happiness, sadness, anger, etc? because im pretty sure nobody just sits, emotionless and stone faced and plays music- there is some type of emotion exhibited. so technically, ska can be considered emo :shock:

haha just thought id shake things up a bit and see what kind of reaction this got

I agree completely. I was going to say the same thing. I think it's a stupid label for music..I disagree with a lot of the broad labels that are applied too. Hardcore especially, there is such a broad range of what is considered hardcore, the majority of which I can't stand, but some of it I like a lot. I listen to a fair amount of what is considered "emo" by most people, but by no means do I like it all.

Personally I hope there isn't anyone here that "hates emo" because I would have to say with such a broad defintion they would have to be quite closed-minded. I can't stand when I hear people saying they hate this and hate that kind of music and are left with only one or two styles of music that they actually like. That is probably my biggest complaint about anyone that is really into any kind of "scene" stuff, they get so wrapped up in it they won't try anything different.

The only music I would say I come close to hating is country, and even then I like stuff like Tiger Army or Reverend Horton Heat or even Mike Doughty's cover of The Gambler..not that any of that is country but some of that rockabilly type stuff gets dangerously close.
-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:32 am 
Kingston Beat

At least Steve f*ck gets it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:45 am 
The Hoboz

Mike wrote:
Mike wrote:
Nothing. Just a joke.

I've told you guys before I hate a lot about the ska scene. This is one part.

Ska kids tend to be way hypocritical about lot of things. Emo is one of these things. They preach Unity to all and then go backa nd "Emo sucks, all emo kids should go cry in a corner." Wheres their Unity then? I don't actively listen to emo, but I do enjoy it. I LOATHE when people say "OH I listen to ska, I can't listen to emo. It is like the anti-thesis of ska. It is all about being depressed and stupidthings like losing your girlfriend and ska is all about being happy and fun." It makes me seriosuly disappointed in the scene and in the human race. Because you can listen to both emo and ska as much as you can combine the two genres. The two scenes clash so much it pisses me off. There is no need for it.

I swear to God if I hear one person say "It is too whiney and depressed for me." I will go to their house and eat their unborn man babies.

This coming from the kid who used to have the screen name 'Death To Em0'? Haha, just kidding.

I think it's kind of lame for people to bash any type of music with out listening to, like, all of it. I hate it when people say that they like all music except for country, or all music except for rap, or so on. All music is art and all music takes some sort of skill to play, which I can appreciate.

Anyways, I really really like Fall Out Boy. I'm not sure if they're emo or what but I don't really care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:15 am 
Slum Lord

Hassan I Sabbah as in the Muslim leader during the Crusades? Sweet name. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:51 am 
Show Regular

Fall Out Boy -- definitely NOT emo.

But, I guess they're good at what they do and cater to the sound that's currently popular.

I'm sure they'll be on MTV if they're not already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:29 pm 
Ska Queen

Screw it. I don't even care. Forget I ever wrote anything.

Last edited by Aiyana Catori on Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:06 pm 
Kingston Beat

Ugh.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:34 pm 
Rude & Reckless

when i was in high school i put on a show in my basement w/ de la hoya and nakatomi plaza. hassan i sabbah was supposed to play also, as well as the movie life (which is weird cause they are huge now, and i had never heard of them before, they ended up canceling). well hassan i sabbah never showed up. the singer told me that they had to bail because the night before their guitarist went nuts and crashed into the drum set. the drummer ended up impaling his hand on part of the set and started gushing blood everywhere. the singer got sick at the sight of the blood, started puking and then fainted. what a great show that would have been to see.

go go gergie signing off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:00 pm 
Kingston Beat

I love Nakatomi and De La Hoya, Marathon is amazing as well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:26 pm 
585 Ska

go2hell wrote:
Mike wrote:
Mike wrote:
Nothing. Just a joke.

I've told you guys before I hate a lot about the ska scene. This is one part.

Ska kids tend to be way hypocritical about lot of things. Emo is one of these things. They preach Unity to all and then go backa nd "Emo sucks, all emo kids should go cry in a corner." Wheres their Unity then? I don't actively listen to emo, but I do enjoy it. I LOATHE when people say "OH I listen to ska, I can't listen to emo. It is like the anti-thesis of ska. It is all about being depressed and stupidthings like losing your girlfriend and ska is all about being happy and fun." It makes me seriosuly disappointed in the scene and in the human race. Because you can listen to both emo and ska as much as you can combine the two genres. The two scenes clash so much it pisses me off. There is no need for it.

I swear to God if I hear one person say "It is too whiney and depressed for me." I will go to their house and eat their unborn man babies.

This coming from the kid who used to have the screen name 'Death To Em0'? Haha, just kidding.

Alex I hate you. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:03 pm 
Syracuse Ska

LaZy wrote:
I love Nakatomi and De La Hoya, Marathon is amazing as well.

Same here. And I got my 15 seconds of fame on DeLaHoya's last release. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:52 am 
The Hoboz

I think I'm starting to become incredibly more open to what music I listen to. I went to a The Academy Is... show last week and I really liked them. I also liked one of the bands that played, Days Away.