Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does almost everyone here hate EMO????
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:23 am 
Syracuse Ska

Consider this more of a troll than anything, but ...

I've noticed that most of the kids coming to ska shows seem to really, REALLY hate emo. LIKE A LOT. And comparing notes with other ska scenes around the USA seems to get the same reaction as well. It's almost as if ska is anti-emo, which I think is a bit of an exaggeration, but a lot of kids seem to see it that way.

For the record, I don't hate emo or any other form of music. Greg GG Allis turned me on to Sunny Day Real Estate when they first broke big, which seemed to have a nice, fresh sound at the time. But now that that sound has been endlessly replicated, I'd be lying if I didn't admit it's getting rather old and stale now. Not every band, mind you, but just way too many (and I'm sure the emo kids say the same of too many ska bands).

There are even quite a few emo-ska bands now, though more so in other parts of the world then the USA, it seems. Couldn't one even argue a band like The Hotknives sounds like emo-ska??? That label wouldn't bother me in the least, but I can see how it might infuriate some kids into not liking a band labeled that, even before actually listening to them. And I vividly recall Fritz in Rochester (who some of you here know) ranting loud and long about how he hates the "whiny, depressing" sound of The Hotknives, which of course is the same "whiny, depressing" sound of emo, right? I find the underlying ska beat of The Hotknives keeps their music from being truly depressing, but it's admittedly much moodier than ska tends to generally be ...

So feel free to respond. It wouldn't be a good trolling effort if kids don't bite ... :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:26 am 
585 Ska

Mike wrote:
Nothing. Just a joke.

I've told you guys before I hate a lot about the ska scene. This is one part.

Ska kids tend to be way hypocritical about lot of things. Emo is one of these things. They preach Unity to all and then go backa nd "Emo sucks, all emo kids should go cry in a corner." Wheres their Unity then? I don't actively listen to emo, but I do enjoy it. I LOATHE when people say "OH I listen to ska, I can't listen to emo. It is like the anti-thesis of ska. It is all about being depressed and stupidthings like losing your girlfriend and ska is all about being happy and fun." It makes me seriosuly disappointed in the scene and in the human race. Because you can listen to both emo and ska as much as you can combine the two genres. The two scenes clash so much it pisses me off. There is no need for it.

I swear to God if I hear one person say "It is too whiney and depressed for me." I will go to their house and eat their unborn man babies.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:00 am 
Syracuse Ska

"I refer the right honorable gentleman to my former reply made some moments ago ..."

Ska may have originated in Jamaica, but it sure matured a lot in the UK ...

8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:55 am 
Checkered Demon

I don't hate emo at all

I just don't listen to it :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:25 am 
Ska Queen

I personally love emo.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:44 am 
Paid Some Dues

i tolerate emo.. some of it is pretty good but it does get repetitive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:56 am 
Kingston Beat

I hate when people say emo. I hate talking about emo. I like talking about bands, not a genre that most likley doesn't apply. I don't belive there is anything that should be called emo-ska. Pop-ska, fine. Otherwise no. And to the answer the question yea sure I like emo and emo influenced stuff. http://www.fourfa.com/topten/index.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:44 am 
Slum Lord

I'm not a big fan of it. My girl friend listens to quite a bit of 'emo' like Death Cab for Cutie and Bright Eyes(who I hate the most) and it doesn't bother me. She even got me into Mae and Brand New. I used to not like any of it thinking that it is "too depressing and whiney" but when I actually listened to it I got into it, maybe not for the lyrics but bands like Mae are EXTREMELY talented musicians.
So I say to anyone who says they hate it to give some bands another chance because you and we all typically say we hate it when someone tells us to listen to a band of that genre and automatically hate it because of the genre.
I also used ot hate hardcore but as soon ans I heard COmeback Kid and Stretch Arm Strong i got into other bands like Terror and Throwdown.

Now I'm onto Nora Jones thanks to my mom.

So I say give every band/artist a chance because you may end up liking something you thought you hated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:50 am 
Ruder Than You

this is incredibly off the point, but if there were a contest on this forum for best "avatar", xbignatedx would definitely win.

damn that hobbes can dance

"Are you sure it was a book? Are you sure it wasn't...nothing?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:54 am 
Paid Some Dues

Now I'm onto Nora Jones thanks to my mom.

Argh my mom listens to that . i cant stand it [/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:54 am 
Slum Lord

:) thanks! My friend made it for me. I love Calvin and Hobbes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:56 am 
Scene Diety

xBigNateDx wrote:
but bands like Mae are EXTREMELY talented musicians.

talent doesnt matter if you dont have style

example = grindcore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:57 am 
Rude & Reckless

what have i done wrong that i should be sorry?
you broke my heart you left in no hurry
what i'm sorry for is all those wasted days
and all those wasted ways that i loved you.

i dunno those sound a hella lot like emo lyrics, the slackers sing a lot about failed relationships etc. come back baby, wasted days, alone again etc etc. could we classify them as a emo ska band? i dunno. but they're damn good and i certainly don't hate them.

as far as EMO emo emo bands go- its hit or miss. generally miss. i remember back in like 97-98 when i was a teeny bopper hardcore kid ultra down with the Xthree-one-fiveX, emo was just starting to really show up. emo bands rarely ever played here in syracuse. then all of a sudden- BAM! emocuse. crazy how emo took off. i remember listening to krock a while back, and the dj saying "emo! its the next hot thing in modern rock".

so for my opinion on emo. well i don't hate any form of music. but a lot of emo bands seem waay pretentious and more concerned with fashion than music. i f*ck love the original "emo" bands like jawbreaker or cap'n jazz but can you even consider them emo by todays standards? i dunno. sorry for this ramble. i'm just gonna go put on some bright eyes and cry my f*ck eyes out.

go go gergie signing off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:59 am 
Slum Lord

Oh yea!! For Danny, Bedouin Soundclash was outstanding.
Unbfortunately when I went to buy their cd they were all out, but the lady said ot get it at Best Buy. I'd love to see them here. Monty('s fan club) is pretty amazing as well, the Trumpet player/sing is a little nuts twirling his trumpet all around, great live band.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:19 pm 
Ruder Than You

unless im mistaken, emo stands for emotional, or emotional rock. well technically, doesnt all music show some kind of emotion, be it happiness, sadness, anger, etc? because im pretty sure nobody just sits, emotionless and stone faced and plays music- there is some type of emotion exhibited. so technically, ska can be considered emo :shock:

haha just thought id shake things up a bit and see what kind of reaction this got