Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the know how
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:58 pm 
Paid Some Dues

I dont get it the know how is going to rochestor with far inferior ska scene then syracuse but their not coming here? i would really like to see them again in syracuse soon.

Post subject: Re: the know how
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:11 pm 
Syracuse Ska

minorthreat wrote:
I dont get it the know how is going to rochestor with far inferior ska scene then syracuse but their not coming here? i would really like to see them again in syracuse soon.

We just had them in April with the Planet Smashers. They're playing Rochester in part because we decided to wait a bit longer before bringing them back to Syracuse. But they'll be back, no worries ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:32 pm 
585 Ska

minorthreat wrote:

If you want them you should have planned it. Why do you all give skadanny so much crap for not getting bands? It annoys the hell out of me how under appreciative some of you are towards him and what he does.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:49 pm 
Paid Some Dues

wow. what are you talking about? i dont think i came of in anyway at being pissed off. If i did then i shouldnt have. I was just sayin their one of my favorite bands and i thought it would be cool to get them back here. Its cool they he wants to save them for a later date. So chill im not under appreciative im actually very thankfull that someone books any ska. I wasnt giving him crap at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:15 pm 
The Secret Ions

Yeah, seriously, he didn't mean anything by it, give him a break.

"I think basically the Grateful Dead is not for cranking out rock and roll, it's not for going out and doing concerts or any of that stuff, I think it's to get high...To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe...[not] unconscious or zonked out, I'm talking about being fully conscious...the Grateful Dead should be sponsored by the government or something. It should be a public service, you know, and they should set us up to play at places that need to get high."-Jerry Garcia, 1972

I see the light come shining, from the west down to the east.
Any day now, any day now, I shall be released.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:21 am 
Checkered Demon

on another note, i saw the know how tonight on long island and they were great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:15 am 
Ska Queen

Yeah, I'm gonna try to get out to Rochester next Sunday to see them. I def. really love The Know How. I dunno, the guy I usually get rides from is currently in Va, so I'm not sure how I'll get out there. But, fear not, if I can get out there, I will.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:17 am 
Syracuse Ska

Mike wrote:
If you want them you should have planned it. Why do you all give skadanny so much crap for not getting bands? It annoys the hell out of me how under appreciative some of you are towards him and what he does.

Thanks for the spirit of this comment.

It'd be really awesome if some more people in Syracuse wanted to book ska shows and not always look to me to book most of them. I have only so much time, energy and money for shows. If someone else wanted to book The Know How this summer, I'd have worked with them on that. Hell, I'll help you book almost any ska show, if ya want.

But work WITH me, not AGAINST me and don't just USE me for contacts. That's not a cool way to go about it. As it goes, I'm always looking for more help with the shows I'm already doing.

Honestly, the most critical element of booking shows is the williness to put your money where your mouth is. I've lost some very serious money on some of my shows, but that comes with the territory. If you're not willing to lose money, then don't plan to book shows. The guys who make booking their living (which will probably never include myself), lose money quite often. It's unavoidable. The more experience you get, the more often you can avoid losing money (or make money, if that's your goal).

Any aspiring ska show bookers and/or helpers, feel free to contact me. All my info is at Kingston Beat. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:08 am 
Ska Queen

:D Hehe.

8) Oooooh yeah.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: yes, booking is difficult
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:43 pm 
Ruder Than You

Artie Kwitchoff who used to manage the Goo Goo Dools a long time ago works for clear channel now. He spoke with us in the spring semester of my sophmore year, and yes a lot of money is lost. When he was trying to book George Carlin in Buffalo on that last tour he did, his friend in Carlin's booking agency said he would give him Carlin but only if he booked Carrot Top earlier in the year. The Carrot Top deal required a gurantee and that he had to book him at like a 900 seat venue (not easy to sell), and after Artie had a few weeks worth of bad pre sale tickets, he realized it would have been cheaper to have just paid Carrot Top off then the losses he suffered from the promo and use of the venue. However the Carlin gig came through and he more than tripled the money back from the sell out of that show. Being a promoter is not an easy business, lots of ups and downs financially, which is a shame.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:54 pm 
585 Ska

skadanny wrote:
Mike wrote:

Thanks for the spirit of this comment.

It'd be really awesome if some more people in Syracuse wanted to book ska shows and not always look to me to book most of them. I have only so much time, energy and money for shows. If someone else wanted to book The Know How this summer, I'd have worked with them on that. Hell, I'll help you book almost any ska show, if ya want.

But work WITH me, not AGAINST me and don't just USE me for contacts. That's not a cool way to go about it. As it goes, I'm always looking for more help with the shows I'm already doing.

Honestly, the most critical element of booking shows is the williness to put your money where your mouth is. I've lost some very serious money on some of my shows, but that comes with the territory. If you're not willing to lose money, then don't plan to book shows. The guys who make booking their living (which will probably never include myself), lose money quite often. It's unavoidable. The more experience you get, the more often you can avoid losing money (or make money, if that's your goal).

Any aspiring ska show bookers and/or helpers, feel free to contact me. All my info is at Kingston Beat. :wink:

I know Twitch wants to have a meeting, sorta like what you guys do out in Syracuse. I think we are going to need a lot of help from you in the coming months Danny.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:06 pm 
Ruder Than You

that would be great if we could have ska meetings in rochester like they do in syracuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:20 pm 
585 Ska

zane wrote:
that would be great if we could have ska meetings in rochester like they do in syracuse.

Yea, I was thinking of doing it after The Know How show, but I gotta get in contact with Twitch.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:24 am 
Ska Queen

:) I was happy that Twitch decided to stay and come to our meeting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:33 pm 
Rude & Reckless

i might be there at the big-ja on sunday. rohester's scene's not that bad, as far as support and interest. we just don't have a danny!