Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan BBQ tomorrow
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:53 pm 
Slum Lord

Does anyone plan on going to this or have ever been to it? It sounds like a great time, but I'm a little shy and wouldn't want to go if no one would approach me. :oops:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:00 am 
Kingston Beat

You should go! There have been three so far and I've been at the last two. It's very low key, people will slowly introduce themselves, of course it helps if you bring good food. There is a badmitton net so volunteer to play and have some fun. I won't be there this week because of the Mike Park show but next week and so on I should be there so you should definatly go and we'll talk.

Details for those who don't know:

WEDNESDAY VEGAN COOKOUT / POTLUCK

Start's at 5:00. 310 Highland ave (It's a big beige / tan house with pillars) If you mapquest it make sure you put in AVE not st. or you'll end up somewhere you don't want to be. EVERYONE is invited, and by everyone we mean everyone. So, weather we're best friends, say hi once in a while, or have never spoke, COME OUT. These bbq's are meant to get everyone together, get to know each other, and have something fun to do on wednesday's instead of sit on your computer.

Few things to remember:

..1. These are potlucks so don't think i'm supplying all the food. The idea for a potluck is everyone brings something. (If you can't bring something for some reason, please still come there will be a ton of other people who didn't bring anything either. Just don't do it every week!)

..2. All food must be vegan, we want everyone to be able to eat a little of everything. If you can't think of what to bring here's some idea's vegan burgers, veggie dogs, those tofurky Italian sausage's, buns and rolls, drinks, pasta salad, potato salad, desserts, fruit, be creative...)

..3. Don't sit and nock at the front door, were in the back yard. Just walk in...if you get there and think your in the wrong neighborhood, your not.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:34 am 
Slum Lord

I'll need some ideas on what to bring to this.(I'm not vegan, so I have no clue)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:43 am 
Show Regular

I went to a vegan bbq last week and brought home made baked beans... typical summer americana food, easy to make. (takes a while though)

Do some searching online though, there's MILLIONS of recipies out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:57 am 
Kingston Beat

Salt Potatoes, Watermelon or other melons, Corn on the Cob, Vegan Faux Meat= Boca Original Vegan, Boca Chicken, Morningstar Better n' Burgers. If you're recipie type of person check out vegweb.com for ideas. If you really want to keep it simple bring some sort of vegetable or fruit dish, a fruit salad, celery with peanut butter and raisons. Bringing a bag of chips wouldn't be horrible but we try to be a little creative :-P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:42 pm 
Ska Queen

Wait, what is this now? It sounds like fun..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:48 pm 
Kingston Beat

Was there a question Justine? Most of the info is covered up there but let me know.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:04 pm 
Ska Queen

Well it's just something that I've never heard about. Like, who's house is this at? They're a regular thing? And why have I never heard about it before? I'd love to go, try out new food, meet new people, it sounds like fun.

:oops: Can I go with you Johanna? Cuz, you know, I'm sucha shy person.

:roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:09 pm 
Kingston Beat

It's at Brian Heck/Justin+Tara/Skip/Pauly's house. They are all people who go to shows(not ska) and are probably 19-24. It's every Wednesday in the summer at 5pm. I go every week so you definatly can come with me if you want.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:16 pm 
Ska Queen

Sweet. Well I think I'm gonna be in Ithaca next Tuesday and Wednesday, but I will definately stop by some times. 'Specially since now I know there'll be people there that I know. Hehe.

Awesome. Thanks dude.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:50 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Yeah and the event at Brian Leigh's house before Jackie Falk and Mike Park performed was basically a ska barbeque, which I hope we'll do again. I know Brian seems very interested in that. Heck, I'd love to do a ska bowling night and a ska minigolf night too. That's where I'm headed, if anyone else is interested ...

But if you're interested in vegan cuisine, I'd encourage you to also check out the vegan barbeque. If my schedule permitted, I'd go too. I'm vegetarian, love good vegan food and know most of the people at that house and can tell you they're all cool people (even if they don't like ska, lol).

We used to have a lot more vegan kids into ska and I'd welcome and encourage that happening again. Or at least vegetarian. :wink:

Heck, we used to even have a crew that called themselves the Vegan Alcoholics (Gordy and company). THAT we could probably do without again, but its a great example how accepting of lifestyle differences ska tends to be.

As an aside, as many ska bands as I've booked, there always seem to be at least one veggie/vegan in the band and no one ever criticizes that. It seems a very accepted thing in ska circles, even if its not as common as it is in hardcore, for example ...

Profile E-mail