Funk 'n Waffles -- Eat Up, Get Down.

Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: COME TOGETHER ROCHESTER: venues
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:41 pm 
585 Ska

I'm putting together a list of contact info for arranging shows. Suggest any I've overlooked (if you know their website, phone # or email, speak up!) and if you've set up local shows (or know someone who has,) share your experience. It always helps to have a name to ask for or an idea of what management will expect.

Keep it constructive. Start moaning about 18+/21+ issues and I will ignore you. The initial list is city-centric 'cause I don't get out to the 'burbs that much.

A\V SPACE
BUG JAR
FAIRPORT TEEN CENTER
FAT MOE'S
GERMAN HOUSE
HARMONY HOUSE
JAVA'S CAFE
KEG, THE
MILESTONES MUSIC ROOM
MONTY'S KROWN
PENNY ARCADE
STEEL MUSIC HALL
WATER STREET MUSIC HALL

Last edited by aka_twitch on Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:03 am 
Syracuse Ska

You know, you just might want to revive a Rochester ska website. Bananic sells hosting packages, with domain name included, for $30 a year, which is very reasonable.

Gem gave up the old site when she went off to college. It'd be nice if someone picked it back up ...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:09 am 
The LeVar Burtones

yeah that seems about right for Venues....

Remember the Rocket Cafe???

It's closed, but Stolen Tango had their 1st gig their with The Emersons and The Ops.

Ooooh the nostalgia.....

http://www.myspace.com/thelevarburtones

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:44 am 
585 Ska

skadanny wrote:
You know, you just might want to revive a Rochester ska website. Bananic sells hosting packages, with domain name included, for $30 a year, which is very reasonable.

Gem gave up the old site when she went off to college. It'd be nice if someone picked it back up ...

I've found the resources on your site immensely helpful, so I definitely want to put together something similar for the bedrock of our scene.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:55 am 
585 Ska

The D. Elkan wrote:
yeah that seems about right for Venues....

Remember the Rocket Cafe???

It's closed, but Stolen Tango had their 1st gig their with The Emersons and The Ops.

Ooooh the nostalgia.....

I never went there, but I heard it was pretty cool. Small venues along that line are where we'll start things up. I'm gonna talk to Java's Cafe, see what has to go down to for a band to play either inside or outside. They've had blues, jazz and classical in the cafe, DJs and jam bands on the sidewalk, so we need to get some ska, darn it!

Some cheap/free shows for starters to draw some eyeballs and let people know the scene's coming back, that's what I'm thinking...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:09 am 
Syracuse Ska

aka_twitch wrote:
I've found the resources on your site immensely helpful, so I definitely want to put together something similar for the bedrock of our scene.

Just do a simple one page layout with upcoming shows and a list of local bands and that's really the most important information anyway.

The rest of my stuff is of far more limited interest and much harder to maintain. :cry:

But yeah, call me if you want, because I'm as anxious to see things in Rochester happening again as any of you ...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:33 am 
The LeVar Burtones

yeah, definitly ask Javas

I've seen a blues show there once. It was really cool, everybody was crammend into a corner. that would be an awesoeme place for a start.

http://www.myspace.com/thelevarburtones

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:37 pm 
Rude & Reckless

i'm about to talk to the bugjar people about starting up a show series, i was going to focus on bands like mae shi: http://www.mae-shi.com and lightning bolt and the like, but i can mention that you're looking to start some ska stuff too. maybe they'd give you a monthly slot or something there, that could be sweet! i've had bands contact me in the past but never know where to send them.

if you can find a low key band, 2 tone sound or "older" i can get them set up at javas in the city. or maybe even something more upbeat on the street at gibbs. last night a noise band played so i don't think ska would be a prob.

:: smo ::

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:26 pm 
585 Ska

smo wrote:
i'm about to talk to the bugjar people about starting up a show series, i was going to focus on bands like mae shi: http://www.mae-shi.com and lightning bolt and the like, but i can mention that you're looking to start some ska stuff too. maybe they'd give you a monthly slot or something there, that could be sweet! i've had bands contact me in the past but never know where to send them.

if you can find a low key band, 2 tone sound or "older" i can get them set up at javas in the city. or maybe even something more upbeat on the street at gibbs. last night a noise band played so i don't think ska would be a prob.

:: smo ::

You need to talk to Twitch and I.

We are looking to start doing ska shows around Rochester and are looking for people to help us. Hit me up at my aim: fastkrestoorange or my email: kuddlestheklown@gmail.com to talk.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:07 am 
585 Ska

smo wrote:
i'm about to talk to the bugjar people about starting up a show series, i was going to focus on bands like mae shi: http://www.mae-shi.com and lightning bolt

If you got Lightning Bolt in Rochester, I would probably die of joy overload. My love of LB is unclean. :twisted:

From the samples on their site, mae shi sound very cool as well.

Quote:
i can mention that you're looking to start some ska stuff too. maybe they'd give you a monthly slot or something there, that could be sweet! i've had bands contact me in the past but never know where to send them.

It's very early on in organization. I have ideas where to start, but it's time to start writing cold emails to bands and venues, get people talking to each other.

smo wrote:

That's definitely a venue I want to get at least one band into (or outside of) before the summer ends. I was just saying to Mike, I'm amazed that I've never seen The Glow at Java's. I don't think Java's does cover charges, but the volume and variety of patrons can't be ignored.

You're absolutely right about our scene here. There is interest, but most of us are independently flailing around. Hopefully we can make some progress in the right direction with a meeting August 6th.

Drop me a line - aka.twitch (at) gmail.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:58 am 
Syracuse Ska

aka_twitch wrote:
You're absolutely right about our scene here. There is interest, but most of us are independently flailing around. Hopefully we can make some progress in the right direction with a meeting August 6th.

Hey Twitch, lemme know if you want me to use the main mailing list to advertise that meeting. I'd have no problem with that, if you thought it useful or appropriate ...

Profile E-mail