Syracuse Ska Forum

Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wacky Japanese ska
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:49 pm 
Syracuse Ska

Mimie-chan hails from Tokyo, Japan and
combines "cosplay", the Japanese art of dressing up like your favorite cartoon character, with ska. They are powered by an all-female horn section, who dress like geishas, fuzzy chickens, and pretty much everything else and belt out melodies that would dominate most marching bands on top of it. Then there's the drummer Takabe, who's known for his fishnet bodysuits. Most of the guys in the band typically wear diapers on stage, stuffed with whatever they come across.

Even listening to the stuff, you can tell how wacky it is.

We need more bands willing to be this silly. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:59 pm 
Show Regular

But you can only make it look cool if you're from Japan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:22 pm 
Rude & Reckless

WOW

i am so buying their cd

WOW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:47 pm 
Paid Some Dues

How about Kemuri? Are they still around? They were pretty sweet, they did that split 7" with LTJ so I checked them out and was impressed.
-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:06 am 
Syracuse Ska

mmmburritos wrote:
How about Kemuri? Are they still around? They were pretty sweet, they did that split 7" with LTJ so I checked them out and was impressed.
-Mike

Yeah, looking at the Kemuri website, it seems obvious they're focusing primarily on Japan now. You'll notice lots of new releases and lots of touring. They're also now on major label Universal, albeit their Japanese subsidiary. Apparently, Kemuri means "smoke" in Japanese and their guiding philosophy as a band is “P.M.A” or “positive mental attitude”. While this seems to have been a novelty concept for them in the American ska-punk scene, it seems to put them squarely into the international ska scene (trust me, this will be a thread of mine soon).

Anyways, the ska scene in Japan has been absolutely exploding lately, so we can easily discuss Japanese ska for as long as you like. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:17 pm 
Paid Some Dues

skadanny wrote:
mmmburritos wrote:
-Mike

Yeah, looking at the Kemuri website, it seems obvious they're focusing primarily on Japan now. You'll notice lots of new releases and lots of touring. They're also now on major label Universal, albeit their Japanese subsidiary. Apparently, Kemuri means "smoke" in Japanese and their guiding philosophy as a band is “P.M.A” or “positive mental attitude”. While this seems to have been a novelty concept for them in the American ska-punk scene, it seems to put them squarely into the international ska scene (trust me, this will be a thread of mine soon).

Anyways, the ska scene in Japan has been absolutely exploding lately, so we can easily discuss Japanese ska for as long as you like. :wink:

Wow, their site is crazy...is that Japanese characters where it shows up as all ????s for me? Anyhow, is there an inexpensive way to get ahold of any of their newer stuff? Are they still doing a lot of English language songs? I have two albums of theirs, I think their first two...that I downloaded. Maybe I shouldn't say that, but I don't know if you can easily buy them here anyhow. I can't make a whole lot of sense of their site.
-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:07 am 
Show Regular

I'll be there in September, I'll see if I can bring back any obscure Japanese ska for your listening pleasure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:09 am 
Syracuse Ska

STEVEN PARKER wrote:
I'll be there in September, I'll see if I can bring back any obscure Japanese ska for your listening pleasure.

Bring a big shopping cart, because I can think of a lot of stuff I could use. :wink:

Seriously, I'm hoping buying stuff in Japan and shipping it back is significantly cheaper than online mailorder. I haven't found anyone online yet that can ship for less than $20 per CD, which gets quite expensive, quite quickly. But it seems to be a function of prices over there ... :cry:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:16 pm 
Ska Queen

Check it out. I used to take lessons from Master Ronnie Nyguetso Seldin on the shakuhatsi (I think that's the spelling..) It's a bamboo flute played traditionally in Japan.

He used to travel back and forth from Japan to NYC to Syracuse to give lessons and play at buddihst zen centers. I only took lessons for a couple years (once every other month, for an hour at a time, $50, it was insane) and I had to practice all the time to keep up, but it was awesome. I love the zen center in the valley, and they the people who live there are so nice, and they have amazing food.

It was some cool stuff. Readin Japanese characters, learning how to say certain things, reading up down and then right to left. The beats and way the count stuff out and mark it was so unbeliveably strange to me at first, and Master Seldin gave me 3 or 4 of his personal albums to listen to and practice with and learn counting with. It was awesome

Aww. Now I miss it. I wish I had the time/money to keep doing it. Lessons were up to like $70 each when I left, though he kept my price to $50. And then my flute cost $250, and he offered to buy it back for what was paid for it, but I wanted to keep it because it's awesome and who knows when I might decide to start actually playing it again.

:wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:03 am 
Where Am I???

wow thats incredible.

this also reminds me how vital it is for me to go see skapara next month.

oh yeah and im gary. im new here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:42 am 
Syracuse Ska

shutupbetty wrote:
wow thats incredible.

this also reminds me how vital it is for me to go see skapara next month.

PLEASE find out if they have any other Northeast US shows, okay? It's considered very uncool to skip one's own concert to see even a band like Skapara. :cry:

At the very least, get some good video of them and take my shopping list with you so I can get more of their CDs, okay? I'm very serious ...

shutupbetty wrote:
oh yeah and im gary. im new here

Welcome Gary. Please intro yourself in the thread for that behind the sticky. :wink:

If you love good Japanese ska, you'll be a great addition here!

Profile E-mail