Discussing ska & reggae in Upstate New York
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:17 am 
585 Ska

skadanny wrote:
mmmburritos wrote:
I think Spark is a viable option too, hell, that neighorhood isn't much worse than around Planet 505..
-Mike

OUCH. That's MY neighborhood around 505 and I'd beg to differ on that comment, sorry. :evil:

Danny just ban him from shows.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:58 am 
Paid Some Dues

skadanny wrote:
mmmburritos wrote:
Half Penny has a perfect setup for this where you could restrict the bar-area to over 21 easily.

Liquor licenses are very valuable things that very few venues are willing to entrust to virtual strangers. I proposed something along those lines to the management when it was The Stag and again as the Half Penny and neither one was willing to seriously consider it. Plus, you still can't have under 16 going up to the bar, even for a soda, and the 21+ crowd still gets weirded out seeing a bunch of high school kids at a bar.

mmmburritos wrote:
I think Spark is a viable option too, hell, that neighorhood isn't much worse than around Planet 505..
-Mike

OUCH. That's MY neighborhood around 505 and I'd beg to differ on that comment, sorry. :evil:

I don't know how you do nice quotes on here, maybe I'm missing something. Anyhow, you didn't say you had proposed something like that. I can see why they wouldn't allow it, but how hard would it be to set something up to sell soda in the back, isn't there another path back there behind the bar? I don't remember. What I was saying was keep anyone under 21 out of the bar, period. The slower nights I've been down there, nobody is in the back section at all, MAYBE someone is playing darts, but that's it. If it can't be done, it can't be done, that's fine.

And I hope that's a joke about banning me from shows, because I'm only trying to help with some ideas. I'm not even trying to criticize anything. My point was, I don't think it's that bad in that area in the first place. A block or two further down is a lot worse, but Spark is in an ok section.
-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:05 am 
Syracuse Ska

It would take a lot for me to ban someone from shows I do, so that's presumably a stab at humor ...

The "nice quotes" are very easy to do. You simply put inside the bracket quote="username" and then a closing bracket. You can do that as often as you like. SyracusePunk.com uses the exact same program, so I have more experience with it.

Back to venues ... in theory, every bar can potentially make money off all ages shows under certain conditions. But the reality is, most bar owners consider their business selling alcohol and most everything else a distraction. Sure, the hardcore scene long ago discovered if you throw money at a bar owner to rent their space for a Sat or Sun matinee, at least some of them will bite. But usually that has to be at least $200 or they're not even mildly interested AND it's got to be those goofy off-hours.

Every bar spends a lot of time, energy and money trying to cultivate a certain reputation. Most won't jeopardize that on even a slow weeknight, but on a Sat or Sun aftertoon when they wouldn't normally be open, yeah, a lot more are willing to entertain that notion, definitely. And again, if they're not going to get at least $200 in clear profit off your event, they really are not interested, no matter what time or day of the week. A decent bar will net $1000+ from alcohol sales on a decent night (more on weekends, of course), so I hope you can appreciate why they don't want to mess with that. Selling soda just really comes nowhere near that profitability.

There are tons of bars, because selling alcohol is wildly profitable. There are very, very few places to do all ages shows, because its wildly UNprofitable. Think about it ...

Profile E-mail